“You will serve in life, or you will serve in death. It makes no difference to me.”
When the Humans, or Old Men, left Norsca, their magic followed them. The paths they took on their journey South resulted in the emergence of Ley Lines, which deplete and replenish themselves according to how much they’ve been used. Old Magic is available openly to Humans and those who were Human once, but rumors have it that other Norscan-born races are starting to show an aptitude. (Elves, Dwarves)
Characters who choose to start training into the Magic/Old/ Skill begin with access to the following Tier 3 words:
- Mending – The character may, at any time, attempt a MAGICAL CONTROL Test (Difficult) using Magic/Old/ or Magic/Old/Mending to repair a broken object or structure. If successful, it is repaired as though there had been no damage in the first place. If the object in question is an Artifact, the Test instead becomes (Impossible). This can also be used to heal other characters, and is done by a Magic/Old/ or Magic/Old/Mending Test. The difficulty of the test is equal to 3x the Severity of the Wound (so a Level 4 wound would require 12 successes). If a wound is beyond the healer’s skill, they may instead attempt a Magic/Old/ or Magic/Old/Mending (Difficult) Test to reduce the Wound’s Severity by 2 Levels. At that point, however, the wound will no longer be receptive to magical healing, and will require medical attention.
- Necromancy – NOTE: Necromancy is highly illegal in Cinderfell. Characters must use extreme caution in utilizing this talent, that they are not caught by the authorities. The character may, at any time, attempt a MAGICAL POWER Test (Moderate) using Magic/Old/ or Magic/Old/Necromancy to reanimate dead flesh. If successful, the creature immediately becomes animate, with all of its Attributes set at x.75 their previous totals (Except for MENTAL, SOCIAL, and PRESENCE, which become 0). The creature is completely under the Wizard’s control (and will remain so until destroyed or dismissed), and will respond only to commands given to it by the Wizard that reanimated it (which can be done verbally or mentally). The number of creatures a Wizard can have under its control this way at one time is equal to their Ranks in the Magic/Old/Necromancy Skill. Attempts to gain a creature in excess of this number will automatically fail.
Characters who reach Rank 8 in Magic/Wizardry also gain access to the following Tier 3 words:
- Scry – The character may, at any time, attempt a MAGICAL CONTROL Test (Moderate) using Magic/Old/ or Magic/Old/Scry to extend their senses beyond their body. Before making the test, the Wizard must announce their target location. If successful, the Wizard may immediately make one PHYSICAL or MAGICAL PRESENCE Test (using their Sense// Skill, if it is relevant) as though they were there.
- Telekinesis – The character may, at any time, attempt a MAGICAL CONTROL Test (Moderate) using Magic/Old/ or Magic/Old/Telekinesis to manipulate the world beyond their physical limits. Before making the test, the Wizard must announce their target location. If successful, the Wizard may interact with objects and people (including making physical attacks) as though they were there.
Characters who reach Rank 12 in Magic/Wizardry also gain access to the following Tier 3 word:
- Artifact Creation – At the price of 10 Vengeance Tokens, on a successful Magic/Wizardry or Magic/Old/Artifact Creation Test (Impossible), you can create an Artifact. Discuss with your Storyteller what you want your Artifact to be, and what effects it has, both in- and out-of-game. Storytellers are encouraged to remember that the final product, if successful, should be an item capable of completely changing the fate of the world.
Special Rule: If a Wizard applies a Tier-3 Wizardry skill to a MAGICAL Test, they will gain one free, additional success on their next Wizardry MAGICAL Test that uses a different Tier-3 Wizardry skill. This bonus success can stack, up to a maximum of five times, and will persist for as long as the Wizard continues to rotate between different Skills. However, using the same Skill twice in a row immediately resets the bonus to 0. Continuing to use the same skill multiple times will result in a penalty, which will also stack up to a maximum of five times. Using a different Tier-3 Old skill will, again, reset the bonus to 0.