(Back to PC Races)
Cursed heirs of a shattered empire who live in the shadows, but do not fear the dark.
Average Height: 5’6" – 6’2"
Average Weight: 140 – 230 pounds
Heirs to an ancient, infernal bloodline, tieflings have no realms of their own but instead live within human kingdoms and cities. They are descended from human nobles who bargained with dark powers, and long ago their empire subjugated half the world. But the empire was cast down into ruin, and tieflings were left to make their own way in a world that often fears and resents them.
- Eyes: Black, red, white, silver or gold; no sclera or pupils, eyes are solid color.
- Hair: Behind horns; can be common human colors, but may also be dark blue, lurid red, or vivid purple, or other outlandish colors.
- Skin: Any human shade, plus red (anywhere from ruddy tan to brick red)
- Build: As human, plus tail.
- Features: Large horns; thick, non-prehensile 4-5 foot long tails; sharp, pointed teeth.
- Aging: As human.
Tieflings tend to wear dark colors, with a particular fondness for dark reds. Clothing and accessories tend to include leather, glossy furs, small spikes, and buckles. Equipment crafted by tieflings tends to be styled in an archaic fashion.
Whether out of greed, a need for dominance of the region, or simply being tricked, the ancient leaders of Bael Turath made pacts for power with Asmodeus and other devils. They and their descendants became tieflings, forever tainted by their agreements. During a war with the other great empire of their time, dragonborn Arkhosia, Bael Turath was overthrown.
The surviving noble dynasties of Bael Turath now form the tiefling diaspora, their fiendish appearance an inescapable reminder of their ancestors’ misdeeds. Tieflings can breed with humans, but the children are always tieflings.
- Views on Other Races: Other races have mistrusted and hated tieflings for centuries; tieflings have responded predictably by often living up to their stereotypes in many cases, and in those who transcend those stereotypes, an extremely strong self-reliance and lack of a homeland generally leads tieflings to remain distant.
Once a tiefling’s trust and loyalty are gained, tieflings tend not to change their allegiance, remaining firm to their allies and friends for their entire lives.
- Views on Religion: Most modern tieflings look out for themselves, and don’t concern themselves with gods. Tieflings only very rarely find callings as clerics and paladins.
- Reasons for Adventuring: Tieflings are not common, and while a rare tiefling merchant clan may settle as a group, the majority of tieflings are solitary and alone, and are raised in slums and outcast ghettos. As a result, most tieflings tend toward unsavory professions, and adventuring is often an escape from that life.
Tiefling Characteristics: Cunning, disquieting, imposing, mysterious, proud, rebellious, self-reliant, sinister, sly, unconventional
Note on Tiefling Names: While many tieflings have traditional names, others choose a name upon adulthood. These tieflings often choose a concept or emotion that they feel a particular relation to, or strive towards.
Male Names: Akmenos, Amnon, Art, Barakas, Carrion, Chant, Damakos, Despair, Ekemon, Fear, Gladness, Hope, Iados, Ideal, Kairon, Leucis, Melech, Morthos, Music, Nowhere, Open, Pelaios, Poetry, Quest, Random, Reverence, Skamos, Sorrow, Therai, Torment, Weary.
Female Names: Akta, Art, Bryseis, Carrion, Chant, Damaia, Despair, Ea, Fear, Gladness, Hope, Ideal, Kallista, Lerissa, Makaria, Music, Nemeia, Nowhere, Open, Orianna, Phelaia, Poetry, Quest, Random, Reverence, Rieta, Sorrow, Torment, Weary.
(Back to PC Races)