The City-State of Alaron
Alaron was once one of the major coastal cities of the Empire of Senpol. It is now a powerful, yet isolated, city-state ruled by a mysterious being known only as The Ruler. Few who live outside of Alaron have any idea of what it is like inside the isolationist nation. Fewer still are the ones who have managed to get in to find out, and even fewer have ever returned to tell the tale. Those tales rarely agree on the details, but the general theme is always one of an evil oppressive magocracy, with the magically strong brutally oppressing those weaker than themselves, and people with no magical talent as little better than slaves. True slavery, though, is reserved for the non-human population, such as it is. All non-human beings with any magical talent (be it with Arcane or Psionic magic) are forced to wear a nullifying collar, which is always rigged to instantly kill the wearer at any attempt to remove it or at the whim of the owner of the slave.
Despite the strength and power of Alaron and its surrounding countryside, The Ruler has never shown any desire to expand beyond its borders, but exercises a policy of strict isolationism. A mighty wall and a magical dome (sphere, really, as it also extends below ground and into the ocean) surrounds its domain, and no one is allowed in or out. The waters around the country are heavily patrolled and any ship caught entering or leaving are dealt with brutally. The magical dome instantly nullifies any magic of any type that comes into contact with it, or attempts to pass through it. Legend has it that The Ruler has ruled for nearly 1000 years, and the mighty wall appeared overnight at about the same time as The Ruler appeared.
Alaron’s population is 99% Human, with the remaining 1% being made up of non-human slaves of varying races.
As there is absolutely no contact with the outside world, there is also no trade or relations with other nations.