January 26, 2013 23:00
November 12, 2012 00:04
October 19, 2012 22:43
September 13, 2012 00:49
August 17, 2012 20:32
July 28, 2012 22:00
Fire is the ultimate cleanser
June 30, 2012 22:00
June 02, 2012 22:00
One week before Drag Light Chapel and Some Pyromania and two weeks after the events of The Sacrificial Manse, Conrad is contacted by Cesar Contadino and told that two hunters have gone missing in the mountains outside of Chautauqua Park, presumably near Gregory Canyon. Cesar asks Conrad to investigate, recommending he bring the Ascending One girl he worked with last time. When Conrad grumpily wonders out loud that apparently two people is just enough of a army to get killed, Cesar acquiesces and tells him that he’ll provide a formidable back-up to Conrad’s task. “Gather up the girl” he says “and I’ll have someone meet you at the bottom of the nearest trail into the canyon.” “Just someone?” Conrad asks. “Just shut up and be there by noon, Conrad” Cesar snaps before hanging up the phone. Conrad chuckles and puts on some pants.
Conrad shows up at Michaelis Rare Books looking for Fae. She happily agrees to join him. She takes Conrad on her motorcyle to the nearest hiking path into the canyon. As they arrive, they notice the canyon still has a decent spread of snow on it and at the base of the path, a single figure waiting for them. There, standing outside his car, is Mr. Allison, who Fae recognizes as helpful during the vampire raid on Annie Singleton’s house. Dismounting from the bike, Conrad smirks at the idea of one guy for backup. Shaking hands with Conrad and reading the skepticism on his face, Mr. Allison informs them that he’s been hired purely in a support capacity and promises he won’t interfere with the task at hand. Conrad shrugs, slightly dubious, and begins trekking up the path.
They make their way, slowly but surely, through the path and eventually reach a point at which the worn gravel veers off from Gregory Canyon, heading further south. As they leave the trail and hike through the unmarked mountain terrain, they soon notice the tattered and cut police tape marking off the area where the two hunter bodies were found. Conrad decides this is a good time to put his rifle together and after a few deft movements, has it fully assembled and ready. Through his scope, he manages to see what looks to be a very small cave entrance several meters up the side of the mountain. Getting there looks damn difficult… that is until he thinks he makes out a few outcroppings that, in the wrong light or looking up from below, would almost seem to melt into the mountain’s wall. He shoulders his rifle and tells the other to follow him.
After a few cautious hops and even more careful steps, the three of them manage to make it up the side of the mountain and finally stop right at the mouth of the small cave. Flashlights on, they trudge in.
The cave is very small and narrow at first, most of it navigated through low ceilings and tight walls… until, suddenly and without any natural evolution, the ceiling slopes up to normal human height. The walls gape wider, almost allowing two people to move through them side-to-side. The darkness, though, grows thicker the deeper they venture, almost threatening to swallow their lights whole.
Apprehension mounts. Immediately, as if answer to their paranoia, the three of them hears very fast footfalls, growing louder and louder.
May 19, 2012 22:00
Two weeks after the Aegis Kai Doru heist, Noah requests everyone’s presence at the After Ours Clinic. Conrad is unfortunately unreachable but Sebastian, Flynn, Elijah, Shachar and Fae show up. Flynn takes the opportunity to ask Noah if Rachel, the vampire they secured from the demonic hospital about a month back, is still being kept in the After Our morgue. She most definitely is, Noah tells him.
Once everyone is assembled in the hospital conference room, Noah proceeds to tell them that he unfortunately must begin severing contact from the cell, as questions are being raised in hunter circles and among local law enforcement that Noah would rather not have any answers to. His connection to the cell is starting to threaten his clinic’s non-hunter funding and he needs those donors to keep the place running. And any suspicions that he might be involved with a vigilante group that’s been making headlines lately is something he’d just as soon avoid.
He does however have a parting gift for everyone: the safehouse he promised them all when Natalie Eaton was meant to evaluate them. “It’s a site that should be very familiar to you, Elijah. It took me a lot of maneuvering through the real estate market and a couple of cashed-in favors… but I managed to purchase the Drag Light Chapel property from our old Gatekeepers days.” He then hands the keys to Elijah and tells them to abuse the place in good health.
The cell drives pretty far east out of Boulder, along Independence Road until Elijah finally leads them to a tiny, barely existent road. Down the hidden path and amidst very tall grass, they find what looks like an abandoned concrete house. Only on closer inspection do they see the chapel… sporting flying buttresses, high arches and— despite the graffiti—still proudly displaying its large stained glass window.
Pulling up to the west side of the chapel, everyone piles out and take a hard look at their new home. Elijah unlocks the main door, and after briefly inspecting the main entrance, invites the rest of them in. Inside they find broken pews, dust and dirt and the very old remnants of what might’ve been squatters. Shachar manages to find a secret hiding spot within the chapel’s main altar and Flynn & Fae locate descending stairs and a large enough basement area for storage and/or training. Back on the main floor, Elijah locates one of the two offices he used to stay in during the Gatekeeper days.
Mr. Allison soon pays a visit, bringing Ruby’s head, brining in formaldehyde. Giving the head to Flynn, he then discreetly asks Shachar for a private moment of her time. Away from prying ears, he tells Shachar that while he was in possession of Ruby’s head, he was beset for several nights with nightmares involving a red-haired man and herself. “With fire all around you both” he tells her. “I don’t know what it means, exactly. But it had something major to do with you.” Shachar, sure that it was her brother in Mr. Allison’s dream, seems uncertain as to what this means. But thanks Mr. Allison just the same. He nods and wishes them all good luck in the new digs.
Once everyone has a good lay of the land and has settled in a little, plans are made for cleaning up the place.
After four or five hours of clearing debris and sweeping out garbage, the gang is exhausted. Flynn though insists that Ruby’s sister, Rachel, be recovered from Noah’s morgue and brought to Drag Light, as well as the stash of relics and goods taken from the Aegis Kai Doru heist. Soon they’ve coordinated with Mickey Sheehan to have the heist crates delivered and with Noah to have Rachel brought to the main door.
Flynn manages to get both Elijah and Sebastian to chain and restrain Rachel to the chapel altar before he pulls the wooden stake from out of her heart. Immediately the vampire gasps and tries to jerk up. Flynn climbs on top of her and, with his trench knife from the heist, proceeds to batter her repeatedly about the head, pausing only to ask her where her master is. Rachel, covered in blood, begins to laugh and threaten the whole group. Flynn shrugs and continues hammering her face. When that doesn’t achieve the results he wants, he begins pulling out fingernails. Rachel finally submits and tells them, almost gloating, that their nest is in Denver at the nightclub called The Church. And that none of them will ever leave it alive. Flynn manages to land several more brutal hits before slamming the stake back into Rachel’s chest.
Elijah, unswayed by Rachel’s threats, starts asking the cell for a plan of attack. Flynn and Shachar agree that the best bet is to scope the place out first before storming in. Fae volunteers that she can make a gasoline-kerosene mixture for a low flashpoint, super-fast fuel for burning the place down with. Flynn agrees that Fae’s weapon is their best best, as long as it’s ignited after innocent civilians have been terrified out of the place. The group manages to scavenge just enough gasoline and lamp kerosene for Fae to make a gallon jug’s worth of fuel. Fae retires to the basement to start the mixture and after a couple more hours, emerges with it complete. The gang locks up Drag Light Chapel and heads towards the Denver nightclub to kill all vampires.
They arrive close to 10pm or 11. Flynn decides that he and Fae will go inside while Elijah and Shachar opt to stay in the parking lot. (Continued in ‘The Inferno’)
In which an inhuman discovery is made
May 05, 2012 00:00
- Late one Sunday afternoon Conrad gets a call from his Union Rep, Cesar Contadino. Cesar tells Conrad he has a small mission he’d like him to take up, in exchange for previous Union support and equipment. Cesar’s been hearing rumors that there might be something up with the hairstylist and hunter known as Sebastian Grendulsun… something particularly devious if the rumors are to be believed. He asks if Conrad would be kind as to shadow Grendulsun that evening. Conrad reluctantly agrees.
- Conrad then spends most of the evening hanging around Pearl Street, biding his time until he knows Sebastian’s hair salon, A Cut Above, closes. While there, he runs into Diederik Michaelis, an author and hunter of the supernatural that Conrad has more than a passing admiration for. He puts two and two together that the 19 year old girl with Mr. Michaelis is his daughter AND the girl Conrad encountered very briefly at Blackmoon Farm. Exploiting a golden opportunity, Mr. Michaelis is anxious to see Fae learn the ropes in the hunting world and suggests Fae tag along with Conrad on his next assignment. Conrad, looking to get in the professor’s good graces, tells him that he’s tracking someone that afternoon as a matter of fact and that Fae is welcome to join him. Fae’s father has no reservations about this and, leaving Fae with Conrad, takes Fae’s younger brother off to get a haircut at A Cut Above.
- Late afternoon eventually falls and with it come the exiting salon employees for the day. They say their goodbyes and head off to the cars, leaving Sebastian upstairs to finish paperwork. While Fae and Conrad are struggling to chit chat, a terrified young boy around 8 years old runs for his life and bumps into Conrad. “Get them away from me! Please mister!” he yells and darts into A Cut Above’s backdoor.
- Sebastian is startled by the noise and descends from the upstairs office to see what’s going on.
- A few minutes later two men in suits approach the back alley, asking Conrad if he’s seen anyone fitting the boy’s description. Conrad says he hasn’t and asks what it’s about. The gentlemen tell him that the boy is part of a school field trip and has wandered off. “We just want to get him back to the bus as soon as possible”. Conrad, curious that school chaperones are dressed like Wall Street traders, asks if they have a card. They hand him one and he tells them between cigarette drags that if he sees the kid, he’ll call their number immediately. The men leave.
- Once they’re sure the men are out of earshot, Fae and Conrad then sneak into A Cut Above. Sebastian confronts them all with the overhead lights and the boy panics, trying to escape. Fae manages to calm him down long enough to ask him what he’s running from. To which the boy replies “They have my sister! They were going to kill me and I had to get away! Please help me! They have my sister!” before breaking into sobs. Fae comforts him and asks him his name: Randall, he tells her between tears.
- Fae, having worked with Sebastian before in the Sewer Billy incident and at Blackmoon Farm, introduces Conrad to him. The three agree that they need Randall’s help locating where his sister is being held.
- Sebastian offers to drive and, after closing the shop, takes them through some of the posher neighborhoods off Mapleton Ave. Eventually Randall nails down the house, a large two story manse with an extremely high privacy fence.
- Sebastian parks the car and while Fae stays with Randall, he and Conrad approach the house and knock. A man in a shirt and tie answers, asking what they want. Conrad says that he’s a private investigator, looking into the disappearance of a missing child. The man curtly responds that there are no children in his house, that it’s shared only by him and his roommates and abruptly closes the door.
- Unable to get the man to answer the door again, Sebastian and Conrad creep about the house, looking for a sneakier way in. They eventually find a window on the side of the house and manage to pry it open. Scoping out the rooms and avoiding what seems to be people inside the house, Conrad and Sebastian find a bedroom with what looks like heavy foot traffic to its closet. Unfortunately their movement has alerted two individuals to their presence.
- Two men enter the bedroom and a fight begins. Sebastian manages to down and cut the throat of one of them while Conrad manages to shoot the other. While Conrad goes off to check on any further obstacles, Sebastian quickly checks to see if there’s a secret passage to this closet. And sure enough there is.
- He descends down a now revealed stairwell into a stone basement area that stinks of urine, feces and blood. Lit with dim light, he manages to make out 2 cages where eight children, most of them wasted and thin, are being kept. Sebastian asks if any of them know a Randall and one girl, older than most those with her, exclaims “Yes! That’s my little brother. I’m Mary.”
- Fae meanwhile has heard gunshots and tells Randall to stay in the car while she investigates. She approaches the front door but is threatened by a man with a gun to get into the house. She attempts to disarm but fails and after he threatens to shoot her if she doesn’t do what he says, she complies.
- Conrad meanwhile has shot and killed another armed man in the house. He manages to sneak out of sight of the fourth man, who has Fae by gunpoint. Then flanks him such that as Fae passes by the doorway Conrad is up against, the fourth man’s back is exposed to Conrad. He yells for Fae to duck and shoots the man point blank in the back of the skull, killing him instantly.
- Sebastian meanwhile has gathered the children together and made a mental note of what looks to be a blood caked altar not far from their cages. He shepherds them all up the stairs and out the window he and Conrad entered from. Conrad and Fae soon join them.
- Mary and Randall are reunited and the children are driven to Sebastian’s place, where they will stay until their parents are located. Fae offers to stay with Sebastian until the children are returned to their homes. Conrad contacts Cesar and fills him in on the complete story. Cesar tells Conrad the Union will do its best to clean up all evidence but that it will come at a price.