Races in the Nentir Vale
Players Handbook 1 Races:
- Dragonborn: No dragonborn are native to Fallcrest, but travelers occasionally pass through and take up work for a time, especially as bodyguards or caravan guards. The Halfmoon halflings, House Azaer, and the importer Naerumar have work available for a capable adventurer.
- Dwarf: A fair number of dwarves live in Fallcrest, so a dwarf character could easily be a native of the city — perhaps a relative of Teldorthan Irontooth. If not, the nearest dwarven homeland is Hammerfast, a week’s travel distant. Merchants and crafters from Hammerfast travel to Fallcrest to trade or work, lodging in one of the local inns for a few weeks.
- Eladrin: Eladrin are not often seen in Fallcrest. Some of the old manors in the Moon Hills and the nearby parts of the Vale were once the homes of well-off eladrin families; a player character eladrin might hold the title to an abandoned estate a mile or two out of town, which provides a good reason to call on Lord Markelhay.
- Elf: Elves are also scarce in Fallcrest, but a small number reside in and around the town. Ressilmae Starlight of the temple of Sehanine might be a relative or an old friend of an elf character. Elves from outside Fallcrest might belong to the Woodsinger clan from the Harken Forest.
- Half-Elf: A small number of half-elves reside in Fallcrest or the vicinity. Most are well-off farmers or herders living in the Moon Hills near the town; the rest are expert artisans — jewelers, tailors, or woodworkers — in the town. A half-elf player character can be the child or relative of a Fallcrest family.
- Halfling: Halflings are the most numerous people in Fallcrest aside from humans, and they come from any walk of life. A Fallcrest native might be related to the Halfmoon family, the Ostermans of the Silver Unicorn Inn, or the Thistletons of Fallcrest Stables. Halflings descended from the traders who pass through Fallcrest can be members of the Swiftwater clan.
- Human: Most of Fallcrest’s people are human. Characters with rural backgrounds likely grew up on the farms in the nearby Moon Hills. Characters with an urban upbringing might be the children of well-off landowners such as the Kamroths, or ruffians and sellswords who had a hard childhood in Lowtown.
- Tiefling: Two tiefling families and a few individuals live and thrive in Fallcrest, including the Azaers and the Naerumars.
Players Handbook 2 Races:
- Razorclaw/Longtooth Shifter: Shifters do live in the Nentir Valley, but for the most part try not to draw attention to themselves. Because they appear for the most part human, anywhere human population centers exist there may be a small handful of Shifters.
- Gnome: There are no known settlements of Gnomes in the Nentir Valley, but that doesn’t mean there are none. There may be a settlement in the eastern half of the Harken Forest, or perhaps in the depths of the Winterbole Forest. Occasionally they may be found traveling through one of the settled areas of the Valley.
- Deva: Very few people have even heard of a Deva let alone seen one. There are no known Deva currently in the Valley.
- Goliath: The Cairngorm Peaks and the Dawnforge Mountains both contain small populations of Goliaths, however they are rarely seen or heard from. Hammerfast would be the best place to start seeking one out.
- Half-Orc: Fallcrest has a few Half-Orc’s in residence, and there is a small population scattered throughout the Valley, a legacy of the Bloodspear War.
Players Handbook 3 Races:
- Wilden: Wilden have not been spotted in the Valley, and the vast majority of people have never even heard of a Wilden.
- Githzerai: Like the Deva and the Wilden, few have heard of this race, and there are no known members in the Valley at this time.
- Shardmind: Shardminds are as rare if not more so than the Deva and the Wilden.
- Minotaur: There is a small but significant population of Minotaurs in the Nentir Valley. They are the descendents of the Saruun Khel Kingdom. The Kingdom fell due to internal rife and civil war more than a century before the founding of Fallcrest. Most Minotaurs live beneath the Thunderspire Mountain in the Thunderspire Labyrinth, among the ruins of Saruun Khel. It is not unheard of to run into a Minotaur on the Trade Road between Fallcrest and Hammerfast, or occasional browsing in the markets of either center.