House Rules and Errata
Limit Gain Reminder
Infernals gain Limit when…
- they have to spend Willpower to go against their primary virtue
- when they spend Willpower to resist an unnatural influence (only once per scene)
- when they act against their Urge they must spend a Willpower (to even do so) and roll Essence, gaining a Limit for each success
Errata: New Solar Character Generation Rules – from Ink Monkeys, 35
• Players may raise any of their character’s abilities to five without spending bonus points.
• Players receive four dots of specialties to distribute amongst their character’s abilities.
• Willpower starts at a base of 5 and is not automatically increased based on your virtue ratings; the two categories are not inter-linked anymore.
• Virtues and Willpower both cost 1 Bonus point to raise.
• Characters may start with (Willpower + Compassion) Intimacies without spending bonus points.
• When selecting Charms, players no longer need to choose at least five Charms from Caste or Favored abilities. The character may start with any ten Charms she meets the prerequisites for.
• Charms cost 4 bonus points, 3 if within a Caste or Favored Ability.
• Players receive 18 bonus points at character creation.
• These changes also apply to Abyssal and Infernal character creation.
Errata: Social Combat 2.5
Natural Mental Influence
Characters cannot be forced to spend Willpower more than once within a scene to resist natural mental influence originating with the same character.
Unnatural Mental Influence
Unnatural mental influence does not clearly announce itself as invasive mind control unless it comes from an Obvious source and fails to affect the targeted character—characters targeted even by Obvious unnatural mental influence only realize this fact once they have successfully resisted it (although bystanders who witness the Charm’s use can tell the target is being subjected to mental coercion of some sort).
House Rule: Dawn of the Devil-Tiger XP
Each session is worth 5 XP for people who attend and 3 XP for those people who do not. Once per session you may earn 1 XP by doing a 3-die stunt in lieu of Essence or Willpower regain. Finally, you can also earn 1 XP by writing up the adventure log for that session. I may arbitrate that players earn up to an additional 1 XP each week by working to flesh out the wiki between games.
When you complete your Motivation you immediately gain your Essence x 8 XP. This XP can be spent on raising any traits but cannot be used to purchase Charms. When you aid a Covenmate in completing his Motivation you earn their Essence x 4 that may be spent in the same way.
When you complete your Urge you immediately gain your Essence x 8 XP. This XP can be spent on Charms only. When you aid a Covenmate in completing his Urge you earn their Essence x 4 that may be spent in the same way.
House Rule: Craft Ability Revision
Craft by the current rules requires would-be crafters to devote huge resources just to being capable of building objects. This is silly and bad. Instead we will use these rules;
Every dot you have in Craft adds a new mundane area of Craft (Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Wood) to your list of possible Crafts. Once you have a Craft of 3 or higher you can purchase supernatural areas of crafting (Magitech, Genesis, Fate, etc.) for 3 xp each. Craft (Vitriol) can be purchased as a specialty at any time the character has an Occult rating 2 or higher.
Basic wonders required no Lore or Occult dots. Other wonders are able to be crafted so long as someone with those ratings participates in the crafting process (for instance, the crafter along with two allies one having the Lore requisite and another having the Occult requisite).
House Rule: Sorcery
As every level of sorcery is acquired, the player may learn the appropriate counter-magic or demon-summoning spell.
House Rule: Essence Enlightenment
Take your Essence – 1 × 8/9/10 (for Solar-types, Celestial-types, and Alchemical & Terrestrial-types) x 10. That’s the amount of XP you need to spend on Charms to go up in Essence by a dot.
Solars: Become Essence 3 when they have spent 80 XP on Charms, Essence 4 when they have spent 160 XP on Charms, Essence 5 when they have spent 240 XP on Charms, Essence 6 when they have spent 320 XP on Charms.
Celestials & Alchemicals: Become Essence 3 when they have spent 90 XP on Charms, Essence 4 when they have spent 180 XP on Charms, Essence 5 when they have spent 270 XP on Charms, Essence 6 when they have spent 360 XP on Charms.
Terrestrials: Become Essence 3 when they have spent 100 XP on Charms, Essence 4 when they have spent 200 XP on Charms, Essence 5 when they have spent 300 XP on Charms, Essence 6 when they have spent 400 XP on Charms.
- Initial Charms you gain at character creation count towards this XP total.
- XP spent towards Combos, Knacks, Sidereal Colleges, Alchemical slots, etc. all count towards the XP total.
- Age caps still limit Essence growth.