Your character’s abilities are split up into six categories, commonly referred to by players as stats or abilities. You will need to roll dice to get the numbers for these Ability Scores.
- Roll 4d6 (that means four dice that have six sides)
- If any of these fall on a 1, re-roll the 1’s.
- Now, take the three dice with the highest numbers and add them.
- Write that number down.
- Repeat this process until you have six numbers written down.
- You now have your six Ability Scores or Stats.
- Now take those numbers and fill them in on your character sheet for Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma.
- Where you put your scores is up to you, but you may want to wait until you have chosen your character’s Class. Some character Classes require you to have a certain Ability Score to be able to access particular class features, such as a high Wisdom score for a Cleric to be able to cast cleric spells. This is also true if you intend on going into a Prestige Class at some point.