TOR More Advancement Points
HOW TO GET MORE ADVANCEMENT POINTS
Help me to help yourselves to getting a decent amount of Advancement Points
Advancement Points — loosely called ‘ticks’ at the table, in reference to the equivalent in CoC/BRP — are the filled-in diamonds to the right of the Skills Grid.
TOR is deliberately vague on when the Lore-Master should let you fill in one of these diamonds. They should be filled in for a ‘dramatic’ use of a skill, where it has an unexpected outcome (including a brilliant success or an appalling failure, but based on the RP implications aspects, not just as a reward for rolling well), or where failure would have had really bad consequences.
- The first one should be fairly easy.
When you use a skill, tell me if you don’t yet have any diamonds filled in for the row it’s on (Skill Group).
- If you’re acting in line with a Trait, I should be more inclined to reward that.
When you undertake a skill in a way that’s clearly in line with one of the Traits (‘Distinctive Features’ or ‘Specialities’) on your character sheet, invoke that to ‘trump’ me into awarding a point.
- I’m inclined to award them for good thinking regardless of dice rolls.
If you ever think I just give you a successful outcome without having called for a roll, remind me that this was as good as a roll, and should be as good a candidate for a diamond as if it had been rolled.
What not to bother with: Most ‘Me too’ rolls; the third diamond in a row (these are pretty hard to qualify for, so unless something awesome happens on a skill in such a Skill Group, save your breath for other, less heavily-used Skill Groups.
Awarding Advancement Points clarified, 2013
This is actually from Francesco’s blog and discussions on the forum, rather than official TOR rules.
If a player succeeds in an action (or describes a failure ‘dramatically’ with a lesson learnt)
- …he may invoke a Trait to gain an Advancement point
- …where the outcome was significant, including if failing would have been really bad, he may gain the first or second Advancement point for that skill group (row)
- …with TN above 14, he may gain the first or second Advancement point for that skill group (row)
- …with a Great B or Extraordinary BB+ success, he may gain the first or second Advancement point for that skill group (row)
Note that 1. — succeeding on a trait-related action — is the only way to get the third diamond in a skill group.