• Saturday, December 3, 989
• In the city of Terrasanta the Seekers gather in a park to await their orders from Julietta. While waiting, Lila receives the message from Julietta, asking if they are prepared to get the item. Lila asks what they mean by prepared? Julietta says in order to retrieve the item. Lila says that then they should be, since they sent at least one crazy person along. Julietta smiles and says that they should get along well. Julietta tells them of the Heart of Mnemosite, down in the Scar of the Martyr, which they have to descend, into the mutant overgrown foliage, then find the entrance to Mnemosite, go through the lost city to find the Heart of Mnemosite. Lila asks for a few details, regarding what the heart looks like (no one knows), where it should be (deep in the center, guarded by things that hopefully are inactive), and if anyone has returned (none). Lila doesn’t particularly like the sound of it. Asks for a few more details regarding the distance from the city, and their pay (anything that they get in the city except for the heart that they need). Asks about climate and a few other details. Then Julietta wishes them good luck and signs off. Lila replays the information to them, regarding going for the item that no one knows what it looks like, down a cliff that no one has returned from, through a forest that no one has ever returned from, in a city that no one has ever returned from. Heinrich comments on it being about usual for them, except that they actually know that it is a Duk’zarist city. Asks if they can climb, Isabella says that she can climb, climbs a tree, then looks down and asks Heinrich “Daddy” to catch her, which he does correctly.
• They then decide to gather some things, including food, lots of rope (Cormac buys 500 feet of rope and 400 pitons in the guild district, Heinrich buys 200 feet of rope ladder). Lila drops off her gear with a Black Sun merchant, saying that she and her companions are heading off to a business venture further away, and that there is no actual business for them. The Black Sun rep accepts it, taking them in and promising to return them. Then she goes to the library, and has a librarian retrieve a book on the Scar of the Martyr, and gets all the general geographical information of the region. When they have their supplies Cormac goes to the door in order to try and wait outside for the others. He finds a crowd gathered before the door, trying to get out, but the guards can’t open the doors. Cormac stays and watches, notices a few groups of pickpockets going through the crowd, including one in his pocket, that he tries to intimidate away him, he does and then sees the man holding some of his gold, so Cormac throws a bolas to fully paralyze the man, gets his coin back and then takes 7 GC extra. Then he watches the show. Luma notices the barrier over the city, and H notices that it is an incredibly powerful barrier of some kind.
• Eventually the rest join, but they see the collection of massed people and guards trying to push their way out. They notice the ten guards trying to open the gate. Then they all see a shambling man coming from the alley. Luma recognizes it as reeking of necromancy. Heinrich doesn’t like it, and then they all see the creature fall on one of the people and begin devouring them. Then the rest of the crowd notices and begins to panic. They push forward and begin crushing each other against the door, including killing the guards. Heinrich draws his Glaive and begins to attack that one, scratching it, then Luma sees 13 more coming. They begin watching, with Heinrich bringing out his bow and firing into the zombies coming forward. He doesn’t kill any, but hurts several. Then Isabella unleashes some arching lightning into the gathered zombies, bursting one at the seams of flesh. Then as they look about they see another ~150 zombies and 18 slayers coming down the stree. H recognizes the Slayers as being Black Sun creations. As the undead push forward Viresaegaer goes up to the gate, shoving his way through the crowd to the gate, then pushes against the doors, shattering them beneath his massive hands, then he strikes the barrier beyond. He glares at it. Then they move closer to the wall, Cormac going to the guardhouse close to the wall, checks the door to find it locks, and pushes it in. He blocks the three crossbow bolts that strike him, glares at the guards on the other side and runs up the stairs. Ymir and Lila follow behind. H moves against the wall on his horse, looses three arrows and then runs up the wall with Isabella tucked under one arm. Up above they look over the city, and see more zombies coming, and smoke rising from various parts of the city. H fires several more volleys of arrows, Isabella throwing bolts of lighting into the mobs of zombies, with Viresaegaear unwrapping his massive, axe in all its unholy glory, and moves into the Slayers, cutting three of them down in a flurry of crushing blows. The undead move past V, the Slayers moving into the crowd, and the zombies all around V. V slaughters 20 of the zombies in three fell sweeps. After several more volleys, and the guards from down below coming up, while Ymir prepares several bottles filled with oil and whicking them with cloth. Viresaegaer kills another 16 more zombies. Isabella uses her mirror to fire an Electromagnetic Acceleration Attack to fire her mirror through the zombies that were there, but doesn’t kill any. Then the others decide to that they should run, they see that more of the zombies are coming from the left, Lila asks if they should be heading towards it, Cormac suggests they do, Isabella suggests that they need to go through to find the end of path, through the way to find the bad things, to closes the bad things, in order to try and find the source of them to stop them to make the bad things stop. Then they decide to move forward and try to find the source. Viresaegaer carves through another 13 zombies, so the remaining dogpile on him. He stands and send them flying, the others shouting at him for where they are going. V doesn’t hear. Then he sees that 3 Hunters charge past, into the crowd, the Slayers and Zombies also tearing into the crowd, slaughtering the humans and the Slayers using the corpses to heal. V kills all the zombies that are close as they begin wandering away to try and get to the different houses, as the monsters break in the walls and begin murdering people.
• Lila, Ymir, Heinrich, Luma, Isabella, and Cormac run down the sides, looking around the city to see what is going on. More smoke rising, smaller bits of zombies and other creatures running about the streets, although not nearly in any large of distances. They look over the groups to try and figure out where they need to go, but they can’t seem to find where they need to go or where the things are coming. Then they try to look for more, Luma looks for a hole in the barrier, but as she looks around it appears to all be perfectly sealed. Therefore, they figure they may need to try to find the source of the Black Sun control inside the city. Lila tries to access Julietta through the Eru Pelegri. L is able to get through to Julietta, who complains in serious pain. L responds that there is a worse situation that they are currently in, and Julietta asks if they are actually still within the city. L says that they are, and Julietta groans even more, wondering if nothing could go right at all. While L talks with Julietta, the others continue to survey the city. They see a pair of strange flying creatures circling off in the distance, but can’t make them out, they also see a trio of people running across the roofs as they look for places where the zombies aren’t. Cormac throws one of his bolas to wrap up one of them, sending him collapsing to the tiles. They then look, trying to determine how to get there. C brings out his rope, and then lowers it down as there aren’t many zombies near. Heinrich grabs up Isabella, runs down the wall, across the street, and up onto the other rooftop before stopping. Ymir also runs across to the top. L pauses the conversation with Julietta, goes down the rope from Cormac, and then crosses to the street. Two zombies approach her, so H unleashes a flurry of arrows to drop one, and I unleashes a flurry of blast lighting to explode the other one.
• After too many of the zombies get away from him, Vilresaegar went to go hunt another Slayer, battered through its right shin, then noticed that the rest had left, although as he looked around he saw a light glowing off in the distance, and ran off in pursuit, battering through any zombies that got within his reach on the way.
• C dropped down to the ground, crashing into the ground for some pain. Then he got back up, threw the rope up, which was caught by Ymir, which helped hoist up Lila. Then everyone grabbed the rope and helped to hoist up C.
• Lila then resumed her conversation with Julietta, while C untied the bolased, and bloodied man. Lila asked Julietta what was going on, and if they were responsible for this given that H informed them that they seemed to be Black Sun creatures roaming the streets. Julietta said that it was probably a breach, and that the defenses would have been activated in order to seal the city, and that they would need to try and find a way out, survive, and still retrieve the item in question. Then C demanded to know where the man was trying to go, since H was stammering over the words to try. The man, through a broken nose and teeth, muttered that he was trying to go to the base. C says the base sounds quite tempting, you should speak more on the nature of this base. L asked Julietta if she had any more information regarding the location of the base, since they should have a button to lower this barrier and save themselves and possibly the city. Julietta suggests that it should be underground, and to check around the other Black Sun repositories for information. L suggests Julietta try well to survive, since she very much wants to be paid, and then Julietta ends the conversation. C tells the gang man to lead them to their base so they can get down.
• From down below shouts up V regarding them leaving him behind, with him completely covered in gore. C shouts back that they did tell him they were going this way, and that if he didn’t hear it wasn’t there fault. V wishes to know what they are doing next, and C tells him that they are following the man to the base. They ask if V would like to run on the roof, he stays on the ground.
• Running across the roofs, or in V case the ground and through the scattered zombies that get in his way, they follow for over an hour until they reach the corrupted nest, and reach McRill’s Slaughterhouse, which was guarded by 4 bandits with crossbows, and ten on the ground. There were 10 zombies coming down the streets, so the party and the man leading them took them down into the basement of the shop, past the hanging animal corpses. In the bottom they find McRill slaughtering a pig, with 7 more goons and the man that led them there. McRill demands why they are there, Isabella converses a few to many crazy times, Lila tries to smooth things out, McRill kills the man that led them there for not asking enough questions, gets some of his goons to hall out some rotting pigs. L asks if they know of any way in particular to get underground around here. McRill suggests the sewers, and other places for the big buildings if they were looking for it, such as in the nicer districts. One of the goons suggests the Sanitarium, McRill jokes about sending the loonies to the looney bin, the goon says it again since it is a big building, so McRill ‘promotes’ the man to leading the front line against the monsters. Then McRill says that they can take their pick. Isabella decides to use her electromagnetic manipulation to take McRill’s cleavers and stick them in a wall, McRill tries to hit Isabella with a blowdart but it is stopped by her shield. McRill puts the blowdarts away with all the others eyeing him up, and he asks them to leave. They leave, V crawling back out. When they get outside there are 10 dead zombies, and 5 dead people, one of which was the ‘promoted’ ones sent out. They ask which way to the Sanitarium, and all the survivors glare at them, then they see the two collosi, and all point in the right direction. Isabella says that they are all going to die if they keep that up. They then begin making their way to the Sanitarium.
• Down the streets they wound, Viresaegaer leading with his giant axe, cleaving any zombies that draw too close, with Ymir, Heinrich, Isabella, and Lila clustered in the middle, with Cormac guarding the rear, swirling his bolas. As they made their way towards the Sanitarium, a cluster of massed zombies block their path. H unleashed a flurry of arrows to drop one, Isabella bid farewell to her whistle as she Electromagnetic Acceleration Attack it through several zombies that do not die, and a home or two behind it. Then V strode in, and demolished the rest of them in an enormous swing. C “Good job, looks like we have this well in hand.” They then walked forward, to find a great gaping hole down into the sewers, with a zombie trying to claw its way up. V crushed the one as the others gathered around, looking down into it. H “where does it lead to?” V “Smells like shit”. L “The sewers then.” C “Then should we go down into there?” H “Why?” C “Because we were trying to get into lower places, to reach the sewers, and it seems that this will lead us to where we need to go.” Looking down at the hole, V glowered behind his mask. “I will not fit within that space.”, a five-foot diameter tunnel after all. C shrugged “I’d have to crawl too.” Isabella “Down we go to find the down, into smelly dark darkness.” A grinding comes from below, and a Slayer crawls up to the opening, its great claws gouging the stones. The Slayer then stood, its claws stretching back to try and tear into those gathered around, until V brought his mighty axe down upon its skull, destroying it and having it collapse to fill the hole. C “Looks like we’ll be keeping on to the Sanitarium then, with that creature in the hole and all.” H “We do have people strong enough to pull it out.” V pulls out the massive corpse before adding “I’m not going in there. I won’t fit.” C “Nor do I want to with those things crawling through. So we at least are going to the Sanitarium.” L “Without these two, I think I will follow as well.” They all continue forward, to the Sanitarium.
• The Seekers reach the Sanitarium, its stone walls and iron gates sealed. No undead seem to be moving within, and the few nearby without are slaughtered by V. C checks the gate to find that they are locked. Isabella begins laughing and rubbing her hands together, and H tells her to only open the gates, not to break them. L agrees with that idea, as there appear to be no undead within. Isabella tries, but can only rattle the massive steel objects. From the other side of the wall came a voice of an older man, wishing if they would like to be let in. The party says yes, and they hear the gate lock grinding open, and the door is opened. An older Daevar man in a laboratory coat greets them, and asks them to step inside quickly, they do, except for V who says he will watch the perimeter. The gate is closed and locked behind them. The man introduces himself as Dr. Verfrend Matinbrochen, the man in charge of the Sanitarium. He asks if they are picking someone up, or looking over at Isabella, if they are dropping someone off. L wonders why he is continuing to keep this place working after ‘the end of the world’ has started. Dr. Matinbrochen says that it is in order to ensure the safety of his many patients, and that they have no where to go anyway. Isabella uses telemetry in order to see the last week outside the Sanitarium, seeing that 5 days ago many people talked more about it. She tells everyone that there were so many different people coming and going, and then all at once. The Dr. then asks again if Isabella is being dropped off. Isabella mutters to herself that she doesn’t like this place, until a young, malnourished, and wild-eyed young man comes up to here, saying that she is one of them. Isabella asks what he means, and what his name is. The boy introduces himself as Frans, and says that Isabella is one of them and should meet The One. Isabella asks about this one, and if the others could come to. Frans says no, they are not one of them and would not be able to see The One, but that The One knows everything and can experience and let her see it all too. Isabella says that there is no way for anyone to know anything, Frans insists that The One does, and can show her as well. Isabella says that she doesn’t like this place, but asks where The One stays. Frans says that The One hides in the dark places, that it changes, and that finding him is a game they play. Isabella smiles, says that she likes games, and tells H that she is going off to play, so she and Frans run off into the Sanitarium, despite Heinrich’s shouts for her to come back, so H went of in pursuit. Dr. Matinbrochen then invites the rest of them in.
• V wanders the outskirts, killing any zombies that draw near to the walls.
• Dr. Matinbrochen escorts L, Y, and C to one of the lower offices. The furnishings are plain, the furniture fairly uncomfortable, and the lighting poor. Dr. Matinbrochen takes a seat behind the plain desk in the room. From a side cabinet he brought out a pitcher of water, and several glasses. He offered L, Y, and C a seat and a glass of water. C accepted both, L sat down but politely declined the water, and Y hovered near the door accepting neither seat nor beverage. Dr. Matinbrochen asked them why they were here, and C responded saying that they were looking for an entrance to the sewer. Dr. Matinbrochen say they had no direct access, since it could be hazardous to the patients if they could get access to it. L asked for a little bit more details then regarding all of the actions that could go on here. Dr. Matinbrochen simply says that he tries to provide assistance and treatment to many of the psychologically damaged individuals within Terrasanta. They hold an open door policy for the bringing in of new people, and others can return to see them, so long as they respectfully avoid whatever time they are working regarding the treatments. L asks how exactly some of these treatments are performed, to which Dr. Matinbrochen says that he cannot reveal those secretes.
• Roaming the walls outside, Viresaegaer killed all zombies that were within reach. The occasional Hunter would look over him, nod its massive skeletal head slightly, and then go grating off into the other portions of the city. During the other time V hurled the chunks of still steaming black ichor from his armor. Then, off in the distance he could hear loud cries for help. Running towards the sound he found a broken door into a home, with fire and smoke licking through the windows. Wading inside V found seven zombies preparing to fall upon a woman huddled over two small children. With one sweep of his might axe V destroyed all the zombies at once. With tear filled eyes the woman looked up and thanked the giant monstrosity of a man, sobs of pure joy wracking her frame. V then felt a dark thrumming shudder from his axe. The next thing he remembered he was back outside the Sanitarium, another two dead zombies at his feet, steaming ichor covering him once more. At his belt is a bright silver necklace.
• Inside the Sanitarium, Frans and Isabella run along the lower levels. Noting that Heinrich is following her, Isabella decides that if they stand perfectly still H shouldn’t be able to see them. They stand perfectly still, and H plays along, while telling Luma to keep an eye on them, so when they run away he can follow them again. After giggling to themselves for a few moments Isabella and Frans set off up the stairs into the medical wing. Through the dark halls they went, past the clouded doors, until he she ran into the dark Main Experiment Chamber, although she couldn’t make out the dark details of it.
• Down below Dr. Matinbrochen excused himself for a few moments to fetch them some patients to speak to, in case any of them know something that could help them. Once Y is sure that Dr. Matinbrochen will be gone for a while, he leaves, going through different rooms. He finds further empty offices, the privy, and also finds the Guest Store room. Seeing the collection of weapons that are present, he unwraps one of his sacks and stuffs it with items.
• H steps into the Main Experiment Chamber, and sees all of the actual features; skin curtains, bone wind-chimes, bottles of fluids and organs, and skinned bodies decorating the walls. Then one of the bodies on the wall moaned “Help me.” Isabella flinched back as Luma’s light revealed it all. Then Luma gave H a warning of something behind him. H spun around and lashed out with his +5 Naginata. The monstrous creature (Dr. Matinbrochen’s Sickles of Madness Form) nimbly dodged away from the attack, then lunged forward, his massively clawed hands being narrowly deflected by the naginata, cutting hard into H’s armored sleeve, tearing into it. Isabella began conversing with herself, about not liking this place, and knowing what they needed to do. Grabbing a scalpel, Isabella unleashed an Electromagnetic Acceleration Attack, but the creature dodged it as well. With another lunge H sent his naginata flying forwards, but the creature evaded and lunged forth, slicing through some of H’s hair. Luma unleashed a beam of light, but it was as though the creature’s bladed surface bent away from the light unharmed. Unfortunately for the monster, it dodged right into Isabella’s arcing lightning. In a great tearing suffering wave the creature convulsed and died, reverting once more into the form of Dr. Matinbrochen.
• H returns his attention to the skinned man, looks him over and realizes that he will die shortly if he isn’t treated. Reaching into his zeon stores, H uses a Recover spell to fully regenerate the man, then lowers him from the wall. Frans shakes his head and wrings his hands, saying that The One’s speaker is now fallen, and that a new one will need to be found, and that Isabella would make a good speaker. Isabella says she wouldn’t like that, and begins collecting scalpels, finding 12 on the operating desk nearby. H then takes the other two downstairs, where he finds Y standing out in the hall, V just walking into the doors, and C and Lila still in their seats in the office. H tells them that the Dr. Matinbrochen is dead, C asks how, and Isabella says that Edward killed him, even if Cathy thought they shouldn’t. C ignores Isabella and turns his attention back to H, who explains the monster appearance, and the look of the upstairs room, and the man that he saved (not mentioning that he started skinless). Lila asks him what was going on here. The injured man, exhausted begins to croak out that the Dr. did terrible things to them, and then a few days ago it got even worse. He shudders at the thought. C asks the man his name, and he simply says they called him One, except that he was about to die and then another would be called One, instead of Two most likely. L asked for an information that could help them, and One suggested they try the basement. V dragged Frans off to the side, demanding to know more about this monster thing that occurred, and what was going on. Frans mentioned the one, the blessed and cursed one that falls in the dark places, guiding to only be seen by the ones that embrace the darkness, the madness, their dementia. V asks how he could make this thing appear, and Frans suggests he take out the lights. One tells the others that there were terrible sounds from the basement, so much screaming. They decide that the basement should be their next stop then, and then they hear the sound of shattering glass as V uses his axe to destroy all the lights within his reach. C asks him what the hell he is doing? V says that he is bringing this one down so that he may kill him, by making it dark. Everyone else thinks that this is a bad idea, but V says that he will anyway, and shatters the other dull lanterns nearby.
• In her head Isabella hears a voice, saying that she should join him, become one in order to know everything, to embrace the eternity of darkness and madness. Then before her appeared an inverted, skeletal angel covered in chains and white leather wrapping his form. Isabella stares at it, asking what they will do to it, except that no one else can see it, and the angel says as much. Then a wave of power rolls out over him, and H begins hearing voices and seeing flashing images, including the creature. The angel comments that two can see him now. With another deep thrum from his axe, V takes it in his hands, and his mind is swept away a bit. The angel comments that three can see it now, and that Isabella should join with it. In his panic H draws an arrow and fires it, slightly harming the angel, which laughs as H stares at the flickering images. V then feels his axe tell him to strike the creature, and he does, the massive weapon hitting it without harm, and then the axe speaks, saying that it is finally awake. With a rasping laugh and parting thoughts to Isabella that it may have found someone better it vanishes. V stares at the axe for a while, as the axe speaks into his mind. It informs him that V will give it what it wants. V asks back about what it wants? The axe simply says slaughter, death, and destruction, that you have fed me well this night, and so your friends may live while we continue forward, until all others fall beneath its blade, and then, in the end, finally even his companions will fall and fade away. Then the axe goes silent, so V sends it to kill Frans with ease. C asks why he did that, and V responds that the insanity made him dangerous. There wasn’t a good argument against it, so they went through the back doors in search of the basement, V kicking them open and nearly crushing an inmate. V’s axe finished the hapless man.
• They walk through the garden, the plants grey and dead, until they find the cellar doors down into the basement. V easily tears them open, and then they descend. At the base they find the sleeping cells for the patients, blank walls, and nothing else. Isabella uses telemetry once more, and sees the passage of all the poor souls that lived, and were taken away to die within, walking through the secret door, until they were all released 5 days ago. Isabella tells the others of this, Ymir mumbles about the bad stench in the air, and then C and H both latch on to the, they walked through the wall, bit. V smashes the wall in that was spoken of. Beyond is the hidden laboratory, with its operating tables, notes, strange implements, elevator of hatched metal and strange risen pedestal covered in metal knobs and levers, crystal juttings, and a large central slot, and the massive twelve shattered crystal containers. As they stepped inside they noticed the 12 huddled figures in one corner, their skin tight, metal bursting from their bones and replacing parts of their skull, wires and crystal in strange places. Then the creatures whipped back their heads and screamed into the night.
All Utopia's Are But Dust In The Wind
September 18, 2012 23:56
• Saturday, December 3, 989
Please login to comment.