Prince of Wales Fort
This fort began as a log fort built in 1717 by James Knight of the Hudson’s Bay Company and was originally called the “Churchill River Post”. In 1719, the fort was renamed Prince of Wales Fort. It is located on the west bank of the Churchill river to protect and control the Hudson’s Bay Company’s interests in the fur trade.
It has emplacements to hold forty-two cannons on the walls with a battery across the river on Cape Merry meant to hold six more cannons.
The fort commander is John MacEwan. He presently has 45 soldiers and scouts under his command.