‘Dog Boy’ / Psi-Hound R.C.C. Features
Dog Boys are the devoted companion to humankind, genetically engineered from dogs, who have served man as hunters, guards, war-machines, guides, trackers, rescuers, companions and friends for 15,000 years. These creations are made by the Coalition States, and 89% of all Dog Boys stay loyal to the CS their entire lives, which can last 45 to 60 years. Fully mature by age 6, these fierce mutants serve as reconnaissance and trackers, forward troops and stealth infiltrators. Dog boys not loyal to the Coalition have found something else to belong to than the strong pull that their old ‘pack’ had going for them. It takes a very strong and self assured Dog Boy to live on their own.
Role: Striker / Defender
Abilities: Dexterity and Strength are primary, Wisdom secondary.
Armor and Weapon Proficiencies: Dog Boy,Fibre, Plastic and Carbon armor, starts with all simple and military weapon proficiencies.
Starting P.P.E. Base: 6D6
Starting Skills: Perception & Psi-Craft. Choose 3 more from Athletics, Acrobatics, Endurance, Insight, Intimidate, Pilot, Stealth and Streetwise.
Hit Points and Healing Surges: 24+Con starting, 8+Con each level, 8+Con surges.
Starting Feats: Limited Psionic Ability, Two-Weapon Style I and Two Weapon Defense feats (if qualified).
Canine Super Senses
Dog-Boys have senses far more sensitive than humans.
- Super Smell: Their nose is so acute it can recognize and identify specific types of people/monsters by smell alone, and even identify individuals known to the Dog Boy. A Dog Boy can follow a scent that is up to 4 days old, and can smell up to 12 inches underground, 24 inches under snow. The Dog Boy cannot follow through water nor smell Astral Beings, Ghosts or energy beings, although he can probably “sense” their presence and general locale if nearby.
- Psychic Sense: Dog Boys can sense psionics and magic being used within 500 feet. They can detect supernatural creatures/monsters from 1000 feet away. The Dog Boy can sense fellow psychics (except humans with only a minor mutation) and magic users 25 P.P.E. or more within 50 feet, and follow the sense to a specific location or person. If multiple beings, psychics or magic is present in an area it can confuse their senses, but usually it is completely accurate.
- Keen Hearing and Sight: The mutant canines can hear into a higher range of sounds than humans, and can close off part of the inner ear to filter out only the sound they want to concentrate on. 17 muscles in the ear allow them to swivel and hear sounds from any direction. Their field of vision is more than twice a humans due to where their eyes are on their heads, although they cannot see any better in the dark than man. They do see colors in a similar spectrum to humans as well. All this together adds a bonus of +2 to perception checks, and +2 to initiative, these are in addition to any breed specific bonus.
- Taste and Biting: A dog and Dog Boys sense of taste is actually a bit dulled, as sometimes they have to survive on not the best cuts of meat. Biting is also discouraged in Dog Boys, as using their thumbs and weapons are more effective, and it leaves the Dog Boy open to injury in the sensitive area of the mouth nose and throat.
Ley Line Interference
Ley lines and magical energy can play vicious tricks upon their sensitive psychic nature. When within 20 squares of a ley line, the Stalker’s ‘sense’ psionics cease to function, as they are muddied by the power of the flowing magic of the line.
Dog Boys are genetically engineered primarily for the military, and undergo very rigorous training for their first 3 years, even if raised by runaways or outside of Coalition hands. As a result of this, their physical statistics are usually impressive, see specific breeds for physical bonuses. Engineered hardy, all dog boys gain +2 Dexterity and +1 to all defenses. All Dog Boys gain +2 to Charisma, as they are covered in fur and cute… They also all have a natural DR of 2 because of thick hides, and super fast healing ability.
Dog Boys instinctively know the psionic powers of Sense Evil, Sense Magic, Sixth Sense and Empathy. They do have the psionic ability feat or know the psionic cantrips until they spend a feat selection on it. Additional abilities are acquired as normal.
Psi Hound Specialization
Dog Boys were designed to hunt magic and psionic users. To this end, all dog boys receive a +2 to attack rolls and damage against those with more than natural P.P.E. levels, or who possess psionics, (more than just a minor mutation.
Most Dog Boy are styled out of specific breeds and many characteristics are specific to the breed they are spawned from.
- Wolfhound. Not a great tracker, their noses aren’t as acute, -4 tracking rolls. Wolfhounds gain bonuses of +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 Endurance, +2 Athletics, +10 Hit Points, and +4 to movement speed. They are on the larger side and can be standoffish. Wolfhounds lose -4 Charisma, and -2 Intelligence.
- German Shepherd (aka: Alsatian). Good tracker, alert, highly intelligent and loyal. Add +2 Intelligence, +2 Constitution, +2 Acrobatics, +2 Insight, and +2 movement speed. Note: Loves to help/work with humans and has a friendly disposition.
- Boxer. A very good tracker: +2 to all track rolls; stocky but powerful, with a strong neck and powerful leg and back muscles, capable of jumping great distances. Mutant Boxers can leap 15 feet high or long after a short running start. Add +2 to Strength, +2 Intelligence, +2 Endurance, and +5 Hit Points.
- Bull Terrier/Pit Bull. Reduce size by 10% (never taller than 5 ft) but add +2 Constitution, +4 to Strength, +2 Intimidate, and +20 Hit Points! Bite inflicts up to 5d6 damage, the Dog Boy can bite for less if they choose. They suffer -4 to tracking rolls, -2 Charisma, -2 Intelligence, and -2 Wisdom.
- Elkhound or Malamute. Good tracker, also big and powerful. Add +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 on initiative, +4 movement speed, and +2 to Acrobatics. Elkhounds are typically 1D6+1 inches above six feet. They lose -2 to Wisdom and -2 Intelligence.
- Greyhound. Impeccable eyesight, not great with scent, +2 tracking by sight, not possible with scent. Add +2 to Constitution, +2 Wisdom, +2 Perception, +2 to initiative and +6 to movement speed.
- Rottweiler or Doberman. A fair tracker by smell, but powerfully built and ideal for outdoors work and as a guard dog. Add +2 Intelligence, +2 Strength, +2 Athletics, and +2 Intimidate. Works well with humans and is very clever and loyal.
- Wolf. A good tracker and powerfully built; add +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Initiative, +2 Intimidate and +2 Stealth. Wolves are very intimidating, and find interacting with those outside the ‘pack’ difficult, -2 to Bluff, -2 Diplomacy, and -2 Charisma.
- Mutt / Mixed Breed. Many advantages over purebreds, all natural abilities are at their peak, +1 to all skill rolls, +1 to all ability scores, +2 defense against any poisons or disease, and +1 to natural DR. Appearance runs over a wide range.
Bonus Feats: Accelerated Attack, Advantageous Attack, Alertness, Angled Throw, Armor Proficiency, Armor Specialization, Athletics, Brink Of Death, Careful Shot, Cleave, Combat Expertise, Combat Medic, Combat Reflexes, Conditioning, Coordinated Attack, Coordinated Barrage, Critical Strike, Defensive Mobility, Desperate Gambit, Die Hard, Dodge, Double Attack, Duck And Cover, Durable, Fool Me Once…, Great Cleave, Group Assault, Hercules Type Shit, Human Perseverance, Impetuous Move, Improved Charge, Improved Defenses, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Rapid Strike, Jack Of All Trades, Juggling, Linguist, Literacy, Long Jumper, Marathon Running, Natural Salesman, Natural Toughness, Power Attack, Psionic mastery, Quick Draw, Rapid Strike, Reaping Blade, Reckless Offense, Relentless, Resurgence, Savage Attack, Shield Bash, Sidekick, Skill Focus, Skill Training, Staggering Attack, Tactical Advantage, Toughness, Traumatic Life Experience, Triple Attack, Triple Crit, Two Weapon Defense, Two Weapon Style, Two Weapon Threat, Walk It Off, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus, Weapon Proficiency, Wicked Strike, Zen Combatant.
Starting Equipment: Suit of camouflage fatigues, black fatigues, set of dress clothing, gas mask & air filter, wood hatchet, survival knife, 6 wooden stakes, wooden cross, first aid kit, tent, knapsack, backpack, saddlebags, two canteens, 14 days emergency rations, Geiger counter, ballistic rifle, ion pistol, laser rifle, cell phone, 4 rifle clips, 6 extra e-clips, a set of vibro-short claws, a horse and some personal items.
Rifts Dog Boy / Psi-Hound Talent Trees
Dog Boy Specific Tree
|Peripheral Dog Vision||Dog Boy||You cannot be flanked by less than large creatures or vehicles.|
|Puppy Dog Eyes||Dog Boy||Through the use of your empathy psionic power, you may use your psi-craft in place of diplomacy.|
|Evasion||Dog Boy||If hit by an attack that normally does half damage on a miss, take half damage if it hits, and take no damage if the attack misses you.|
|Double Attack||Dog Boy||Make two claw attacks as a standard action, both attacks suffer a -5 penalty. This talent satisfies the requirements for the Double Attack feat.|
Movement & Agility Tree
|Four Legs Are Better Than Two||Four Legs||If an effect causes you to fall prone, you can make a DC 18 Acrobatics check to remain on your feet.|
|Four on the Floor||Dog Boy, trained in Acrobatics, Dog Fu I||The dog boy can move with their minor action. As a minor action move half your speed. This movement can come before or after your standard or move actions.|
|Tenuous Movement||Four on the Floor, Dog Fu II||A dog boy with this talent is able to move over the most improbable surfaces, leaving little or no mark of passing. An Acrobatics check is required with a DC depending on the surface over which they intend to move:|
|“||“||Surface: DC: Thin ice: 10 Loose Boards: 15 Marbles (without moving them) : 20 Eggs: 25 Silk Sheets, Thin bamboo trunks: 30 Water: 35 Sword Blades or equally sharp items: 40. A Tenuous Move roll can be made with your minor action.|
|Increased Jump||Dog Boy, Trained in Acrobatics, Dog Fu I||The dog boy gains the ability to make impressive leaps, gain +5 on any jump attempts with athletics or acrobatics. This bonus does apply to Vertical Running.|
|Vertical Running||Dog Boy, Increased Jump, Dog Fu II||This talent allows the dog boy to move over vertical surfaces. Make an acrobatics or athletics check DC 10. For each 5 points to succeed in this check, you can move one step up on a vertical surface with little or no means of support. Each step moves you up one square, this must be performed with your move action.|
|Bullet Dodger||Dog Boy, Dog Fu III||This talent allows the dog boy to dodge a projectile attack from a bullet or slower. As an immediate reaction, make an acrobatics check against the attack roll. Success means you have dodged.|
Psionic Hunter Tree
|Resistance to the Supernatural||Dog Boy||You gain +3DR and +5 to all defenses against attacks made by supernatural enemies.|
|Supernatural Scourge||Dog Boy||Against supernatural enemies, those who possess major psionics, and magic users with more than 20 P.P.E., you deal extra damage on melee attacks equal to your Wisdom bonus.|
|Weapon Specialization||Weapon Focus in chosen weapon||You gain a +2 bonus on melee damage rolls, or +1 to attack and damage with a chosen ranged weapon.|