Major interstellar shipping company in the Regina Subsector. Oberlindes Lines was established in the aftermath of the Fourth Frontier War, depending to a great extent on Imperial surplus transport ships to meet the demand for trade goods by worlds cut off by the war.
Oberlindes Lines was a family run free trader operation until it acquired naval surplus transports and used them to provide extensive cargo service in the Regina subsector. At the same time, Oberlindes expanded into trade with the Vargr just beyond the Imperial border, and has become a major importer of Vargr products and goods.
The Oberlindes name is an old one in the trade and commerce business in the Marches. Roxanne Oberlindes established the first line to bear the name in 487 and built a family business which thrived between each of the several wars which have wracked the Marches in the past millenium. The first major increase in Oberlindes’ size came in 1049, with the acquisition of Emissary, a surplus cruiser declared excess by the Imperial Navy. This ship, armaments intact, served as the flagship for Oberlindes’ excursions into the Vargr Extents on trade expeditions; the venture proved highly successful. A base for Oberlindes was established just beyond the Imperial barder (some irregularities in the ship transfer made it impractical to bring the ship into the Imperium) and served as a clearing house for trade good shipments between Regina and the Vargr worlds.
In the years following the False War, Oberlindes Lines obtained an Imperial charter and began operations with a large fleet composed almost entirely of navy surplus ships – now numbering in the hundreds. The organization concentrates on the smaller feeder routes, but has recently expanded into main line service, in direct competition with Tukera Lines and other more established major shipping lines.
Marc hault-Oberlindes, patriarch and controller of the line, was awarded a baronial patent, complete with estates on Feri (Spinward Marches 2005 B384879-B), by direction of the Emperor in 1101 for his contribution to the economic recovery in the Marches following the Fourth Frontier War.
Oberlindes Lines currently boasts a commercial fleet of more than 100 ships, including 10 ships of greater than 4000 tons and 30 ships of greater than 1000 tons.
Home Port: Regina. Territory: Regina and Aramis subsectors; Vargr territory in adjacent Gvurrdon Sector.
Oberlindes Lines is a family company with stock ownership divided approximately as follows: Oberlindes family, 78 percent; investment trusts, 10 percent; corporate employees, 8 percent; Imperial family, 2 percent; public individuals, 2 percent.