- Characters brought to 0 HP are stable and will recover just fine.
- Characters brought below 0 HP lose 1 HP per round until their wounds are bound by a comrade (Healing proficiency check required to stop bleeding within 1 round, otherwise bleeding continues for 1d3+1 rounds). If they reach less than -10 HP less their Constitution hit point bonus, they die.
- Mage with CON 17 would have HP bonus +2. The character is still alive up to -12 HP and dies in the round he reaches -13 HP.
- Fighter with CON 18 would have HP bonus +4. The character is still alive up to -14 HP and dies in the round he reaches -14 HP.
The rule and table below are just for fun, we are not playing with it, though the DM may take inspiration from it from time to time.
- Characters brought below 0 HP must also roll on the table below. Penalties are more severe with lower rolls. Characters may modify their rolls by adding up to their level (use class with the highest level for multi-class and dual-class characters).
|01-05||Lose arm or leg (player’s choice).||Limb can be replaced with Regeneration or a golem prosthetic.|
|06-07||Lose an eye (-4 to ranged attacks, -4 to COM b/c of gross empty socket).||Eye can be recovered with Regeneration or prosthetic. Cosmetic prosthetic can eliminate COM penalty depending on its quality.|
|08-12||-1 to an ability score.||Score can be recovered with Regeneration.|
|13-15||Permanent HP loss (roll 1 HD).||HP can be recovered with Regeneration.|
|16-20||PTSD, 15% chance dazed, 15% chance fear, 5% chance berserk (melee attack nearest being), 5% chance suicidal (melee attack self), 60% chance nothing on critical fail during melee combat.||State can be broken with successful save vs. death (roll once per round) or appropriate magic (charm person, emotion, etc.). PTSD can be cured with Regeneration.|
|21-25||Lose extremity (hand or foot, player’s choice).||Extremity can be replaced with Regeneration or a golem prosthetic.|
|26-30||Permanent HP loss (roll 1/2 HD).||HP can be recovered with Regeneration.|
|31-40||Severe bleeding.||Bleeding won’t stop unless healing magic brings HP to zero or higher, or character with Healing proficiency rolls successful check while tending to character for 1d3 rounds.|
|41-45||Shaken, -1/-5% penalty on all rolls requiring skill (proficiency checks, thief ability checks, attack rolls, etc.).||Penalty can be removed temporarily in a variety of ways (Bless for example). It can be removed permanently with Heal.|
|46-50||Noticeable limp, -1 movement, -1/-5% penalty to skills requiring legs (tumbling, climb walls, dancing, etc.).||Penalty is cumulative, can remove with Heal.|
|51-55||Diminished coordination, -2 to attacks involving arms.||Penalty is cumulative, can remove with Heal.|
|56-60||Dazed when victim of critical hit.||Save vs. death to snap out of it. Can remove with Heal.|
|61-68||Shaky hands, -1 to all attack rolls.||Can be removed with Cure Critical Wounds.|
|69-76||Nervous tick, -1/-5% penalty to checks based on others trusting the character.||Can be removed with Cure Critical Wounds.|
|77-84||Nightmares (player’s choice).||Can be removed with Cure Critical Wounds.|
|85-00||Cool scar (player’s choice).||Can be removed with Regeneration, but why bother?|
Thanks to duskreign for providing inspiration to implement this as well as some starter material.