Previously: Several days after the encounter with Pharaoh, The Heroes were sent on a mission by the OUA to capture the supervillain Powergrid at Neapolis airport, the heroes easily succeeded. However, they discovered that Powergrid was actually an OUA agent and their mission was secretly a test of their abilities. The team was introduced to Alyssa Mason, their OUA liason, as well as Colonel Warhammer, the RSA’s military attache with the OUA. The team then visited their state-of-the-art headquarters located in a hidden bunker in Long Island, and made some finishing touches. Later that night, the heroes were summoned to Bromhill Lane where they encountered a mortally wounded Jin Tonakami. Courage showed up and admitted to the team that Jin was dying of a shadow parasite, and that the best she could do was prolong his death. Before the OUA agent passed away, he informed the heroes that he had given his amulet to an undercover OUA agent who had infiltrated the Mouth of Tartarus. He urged them to find the agent and to stop the Mouth of Tartarus, before he passed away. The session ended with the heroes uncovering a new enemy and with the death of their friend.
Current session game play
[The Same Night]
• The heroes present for this session were: Cougress, Stix, Peacemaker, Acertijo, Madcap, and Aemerys the Atlantean
• Cougress went out clubbing to shake off the pain and loss from Jin Tonakami’s death.
• The rest of the team searched the crime scene for any clues, but found none and returned home.
• At about 2 AM, the whole team was asleep in their respective bedrooms when they awoke in the same dreamworld from the adventure “The Day and the Path.”
• In the dreamscape, the superheroes were all in their mortal forms, and Maria broke down crying as she reflected upon the sad death of Jin Tonakami as Ali Mansour comforted her.
• The heroes then saw before them two doors: one with the symbol of a winged dragon and the other with a griffon claw symbol. They heard the voice of Courage asking them to choose their path.
• Maria directed the party towards the door with a griffon claw symbol, having been reminded of the experimentation ring that kidnapped her and gave her her powers. The party then entered the door, and travelled down a passageway before they entered a ghostly room.
• Courage awaited them in the room and informed them that Dr. Shaw had rejected the mission, and that she knew of the hero that would replace him. The team was then tasked to travel back in time to ancient Altantis to rescue an Atantean warrior named Aemerys.
• The heroes were then transported back in time to the Ancient City of Atlantis, and to a great foundry where they encountered a handsome, strapping blacksmith who ordered them to help with a smithing task. After completing it, the blacksmith introduced himself as Aemerys.
• Nathean, as usual, blew the heroes’ cover by informing the ancient myrmidon of their mission and the fact that Aemerys would die if he didn’t go along with them. The myrmidon was befuddled, and it took considerable persuasion to convince him of the party’s good intentions and veracity of their claims.
• The team also discovered that Aemerys was a Chosen of the god Hephaestus/Vulcan, which had caused considerable resentment among his fellow Atlanteans who viewed him as a curse upon the city. The city was also on the brink of war with the powerful Roman Empire and had been repeatedly threatened by the neighboring Roman Governor, Faustus Lucianus.
• Suddenly, Aemerys was summoned by armed guards to a council meeting where he was accused of treason and espionage by Jilanus, his jealous rival at the foundry and a snobbish highborn Atlantean.
• Aemerys was placed under house arrest while the rest of the party sought to prove his innocence. With the use of magic and good fortune, the heroes managed to discover correspondence in Jilanus’ room proving that the Altantean noble was the real spy and had framed Aemerys.
• Aemerys and the heroes were then summoned back to the council chambers, only to discover that Jilanus had prepared a trap for them. The gloating villain mocked Aemerys and summoned two massive metallic minotaurs to dispatch the heroes, only to discover that he was facing a powerful group of Chosen.
• The heroes defeated Jilanus and fought the minotaurs to a standstill. However, with guards about to swarm into the room- Madcap managed to pull off an illusion convincing them that Aemerys had been killed. With the ruse having succeeded, the heroes were then transported from Ancient Atlantis back to the dreamscape.
• Back in the dreamscape, Courage admitted to the superheroes that she was a Muse of the “Old Ones,” the Greco-Roman “Gods” who were the first ultrahumans. She warned them of a traitorous god who had betrayed the others god and imprisoned them, and informed them that they (and her) were the only ones stopping the betrayer god from completing his ascendency.
• Cougress proceeded to hit on Aemerys, much to the amusement of the Atlantean and the perturbed horror of the rest of the party. However, the other heroes swiftly were returned to their slumber while Courage debriefed Aemerys on his situation and the modern world he would soon find himself in. Unanswered questiosn still remain, but now it will be seen how well the ancient myrmidon adapts to the post-modern Republican States of America.
TO BE CONTINUED…