The Goodhue County Historical Society
Minnesota’s oldest county historical society, the Goodhue County Historical Society was chartered in 1869. After residing for 37 years in the basement of the County Courthouse, the Society moved into the Baptist Old People’s Home building on College Hill in Red Wing in September of 1969. Between 1989 and 1992, the building was remodeled to increase storage and exhibit space.
Our Collections encompass more than 150,000 artifacts, detailing county history from its prehistory to the present. Special exhibits reflect the wide variety of items in our collections.
The museum’s permanent exhibits draw from thousands of years of local and regional history and present it in a lively, modern format. Geology, natural history, archaeology, Native American history, military, immigration, business and industry, sports and leisure, clothing, and agriculture are represented through displays, photographs, paintings, artifacts and interactive presentations.