God of the moon and autumn, Sehanine is the patron of trickery and illusions. She has close ties to Corellon and Melora and is a favorite deity among elves and halflings. She is also the god of love, who sends shadows to cloak lovers’ trysts. Scouts and thieves ask for her blessing on their work.
Her teachings are simple:
- Follow your goals and seek your own destiny.
- Keep to the shadows, avoiding the blazing light of zealous good and the utter darkness of evil.
- Seek new horizons and new experiences, and let nothing tie you down.
The common folk have reasons aplenty to honor Sehanine. She marks the passing months, encourages love and friendship, and teaches self-reliance. But those heroic few who come to dedicate their lives to the Moonbow are cut from a different cloth. Most of Sehanine’s champions have experienced loss in their lives. Worshippers of Sehanine revere the moons, feeling their pull in their souls like tides in the ocean.
Sehanine sends messages to her faithful through several means. Some are widespread and witnessed by an entire region, while others are private and seen by a single mortal. Her omens (and their connotations) include the following:
- Blue moon (good omen, marks an auspicious event);
- Red moon (bad omen, heralds bloodshed);
- Dead tree with a single gold leaf (good omen, encourages hope);
- Shadows moving on their own (bad omen, heralds betrayal);
- A person who briefly casts no shadow (bad omen, marks a bringer of misfortune);
- An archer’s arrow turns to silver (good omen, marks a bringer of justice);
- A candle’s flame glows with silvery light during prayer (good omen, marks a heard prayer).
Priests of Sehanine are called upon to officiate several events, depending on the community they preach to. But the most common are these:
- Marriages (especially secret ones);
- Naming ceremonies;
- Archery contests;
- Harvest festivals.
Sehanine’s faithful view life as a series of mysteries veiled by Sehanine herself. The spirits of mortals discover new mysteries once they transcend their mortal existences. Sehanine unveils the next step through dreams and visions.
Worshippers of Sehanine Moonbow seek out and destroy undead creatures, for Sehanine holds such creatures — with the notable exceptions of baelnorn and other good-aligned undead beings who voluntarily prolong their existence in order to serve their kin — to be blasphemous.