(modified from Dark Ages Mage, p. 83)
In its most obvious form, this knowledge represents a character’s mastery of riddles, puzzles, cryptic hints and ciphers, but it is also more than that. The world of the supernatural does not yield its secrets in an obvious, nor easy, manner. The Magi couch their greatest mysteries in riddles and allegory, while the obscure spirits to be found outside the boundaries of mundane perception are fond of entertaining each other and frustrating those seek them out with perplexing conundrums. Some Cainite elders also enjoy posing difficult problems to each other in the halls of Elysium, so that they might demean their rivals and keep their minds sharp. Furthermore, many supernatural creatures and some paranoid mortals tend to keep their records in ciphers More than that, however, Enigmas covers the ability to ruminate on the mysteries of the world and discern pattern and meaning from the chaos. As such, it can be used to unravel the obscure symbolism of dreams and visions and sometimes even to plumb the mad ways of Malkavians (although this is dangerous, for the Lunatics can sometimes “sense” when someone is doing so and they may seek to “enlighten” them further).
- Level One- Dabbler: You played at riddles with your siblings, and understand simple codes.
- Level Two- Student: You never had to ask the village priest what the meaning behind Christ’s parable was. You hold your own against the wise in the halls of Elysium.
- Level Three- Learned: Talking with the mad and possessed is not difficult for you, and you can even understand spirits given time.
- Level Four- Scholar: You can puzzle out languages from distant lands or unknown ciphers given enough time, simply by examining the patterns in the writing.
- Level Five- Savant: The only way to keep something from you is to lock it up. Prince’s and Lords across the continent have heard of your remarkable proficiency and sometimes invite you to their cities for important celebrations.
- Level Six- Visionary: Your reputation as a riddle-master is known throughout the Cainite courts of the known world. If you deal with spirits, they tend to react favourably towards you given the sheer entertainment and distraction that you provide.
Possessed By: Priests, Jesters, Wise Men and Women, Mystics, Supernatural Creatures, Spirits
Specialties: Riddles, Ciphers, Patterns in the Chaos, Deduction, Quick Solutions