Auspex is a Discipline that grants vampires supernatural senses. It is one of the most common and favored Discipline among Cainites due to its versatility and overall usefulness in just about every facet of vampiric existence. In addition to the individual powers granted at each level, Auspex allows someone the opportunity to see through illusions, such as from Obfuscate or Chimerstry, so long as the user possess at least an equal mastery in Auspex as the Discipline in question. Furthermore, it has been known to grant some degree of oracular ability, particularly when alerting a Cainite to danger, even if they are in torpor.
Affinity Skill: Empathy or Investigation
Clan Aura: Vampire’s who possess auspex as a Clan Discipline gain the ability to detect surprises more easily, adding their Auspex rating to Wits + Composure rolls to detect ambush.
No secret is safe from the Beast. All of the powers of Auspex are essentially based around sniffing out secrets for the vampire to exploit.
Auspex 1-3 work by allowing the player to ask questions of the Storyteller. Several questions which meet the theme of each power are listed, but they’re not the only ones that can be asked. Additionally, the answers should usually be revealed in cool imagery. For example, asking “who here is most likely to lapse into violence?” might show the character with bloody hands, or make her smell like gunpowder. (By the way, writers, if you use that example, gunpowder doesn’t smell like cordite these days.)
Auspex now works with all five senses, which both increases the amount of cool description that can be used, and allows for some unconventional uses, such as a blindfolded character determining which of his captors is most afraid by listening to them speak to each other.
There’s also a bonus for using Auspex on someone while in intimate contact with them. Not just sex, but general extended touching, either sexual or platonic. You can find out a lot of someone’s secrets by being the one who’s digging the bullet out of their side. (Exact bonus TBD, use +Auspex for now.)
We will be play testing the new Auspex Rules for Sexmurder. the altered disciplines are as follows.
Beast’s Hackles •
Allows you to sense sources of danger and weakness.
Cost: None for the first use in a scene, but maintaining the required focus taxes the vampire, meaning that subsequent uses within that scene cost 1 Vitae each. (EDIT: Changed this from always being free.)
Dice Pool: Wits + Empathy + Auspex
Lets you ask one question per successful roll:
- Who here is most likely to give me what I want?
- Who/what here is most likely to lapse into violence?
- Who here is most afraid?
- Who/what here is most likely to hurt me?
- Who here is closest to frenzy?
- Is there a vampire here using Auspex 5?
- Attempt to pierce Obfuscate
Uncanny Perception ••
Reveals the secrets of a single victim.
Cost: None for the first attempt against a particular victim, 1 Vitae for each subsequent attempt against that victim in that scene.
Dice Pool: Intelligence + Empathy + Auspex – victim’s Composure
Answers [successes] of the following questions about a single victim (in sensory impressions/symbolic imagery, not necessarily aura sight):
- What is this person’s mood?
- What is this person afraid of, right now? (Not a detailed answer. “Being found” rather than “cops.”)
- What is this person’s Vice? (Or splat equivalent.)
- What is one of this person’s derangements?
- Is this person a diablerist?
- Is this person acting under someone else’s control?
- Is this person a supernatural creature? (And if I’ve seen this kind before, what is it?)
- Who here does this person want to hurt most?
The Spirit’s Touch •••
Lifts psychic impressions from an object or place.
Dice Pool: Wits + Occult + Auspex
Answers [successes] of the following questions (in sensory impressions/dream imagery). May also answer Auspex 1 or 2 questions, at Storyteller discretion and if relevant.
- Who last touched/owned this?
- What is the strongest emotion associated with this object?
- What was this being used for at the moment of most intense emotion?
- Restriction: May not be used on the same object more than once in the same scene.
Lay Open the Mind ••••
Allows you to enter the thoughts of another, sifting through them or inserting your own.
Cost: None for a mortal or willing supernatural creature, 2 Vitae for a resisting supernatural creature
Dice Pool: Intelligence + Socialize + Auspex – victim’s Resolve (if resisting)
- Project [successes] thoughts or images into the victim’s mind.
- Draw a single thought or image out of the victim’s mind. (Modifiers based on how deep you’re digging.)
Twilight Projection •••••
Project consciousness as a “ghost body.” Except not actually a ghost, because there’s no spiritual substance to it.
Cost: 2 Vitae
Dice Pool: Intelligence + Occult + Auspex
Ghost body can travel the character’s Speed x (Auspex + Blood Potency), anywhere within the lunar sphere.