The doors to the final chamber of the Westraven Witch are sealed with a powerful magic. To open the doors is simple: the party need only bury four corpses (any corpses) in the earthen floor of The Crypt before them.
How difficult a battle awaits them, however, depends on their ability to find, arm, bury, and correctly mark the corpses of the suitors. If the corpse of a suitor is properly buried with the correct weapon and a its correct gravestone placed, during the final battle his spirit will work to destroy the other suitors rather than side with the Witch, and will never intentionally attack the players. A completely solved riddle would then see the players able to battle the Witch alone, while the spirits work to destroy one another.
Rumors and evidence should provide the group with what information they need to reconstruct the original story and properly arm the corpses.
In the original fight, the suitors were armed as follows:
- Norril, the young farmhand, with a shovel.
- Graham, the elderly tailor, with shears.
- Xavier, the butcher, with a cleaver.
- Vicnel, the blacksmith, with a smithing hammer.
Throughout the dungeon, the corpses of the four can be found, along with versions of their original weapons. Retrieving both the weapons and the corpses does not require killing all of the dangerous monsters in each dungeon branch, though it will no doubt require killing some. In many cases, wise players will remain focused, taking what they need and avoiding unnecessary fighting.
The grave markers, already carved, provide the names of the four men.
The following information is made available to the players through rumors:
- Norril’s death was considered particularly tragic amongst the community: he was just a young farmhand.
- The tailor was a rich, elderly man.
The following evidence uncovered in the adventure should round out what is required to solve the logic puzzle:
- Graham’s Well-Dressed Corpse is elderly, dressed in fine clothes, and has an embroidered handkerchief (‘G’) in its pocket. This identifies him as a tailor.
- Norril’s Young Farmhand Corpse is smaller than the others – that of a boy. This also identifies him as the farmhand.
- Xavier’s Dismembered Corpse will be identified as belong to the butcher by process of elimination.
- Vicne’s Hairless Corpse has a “V” branded into its arm (like a cattlebrand).
- The occupations of the last two should also be obvious from the areas where the bodies are retrieved.