Orcus' Most Prized Possession
Details of the powers available from this weapon have not yet been discovered.
Although it is referred to as a ‘Wand,’ it is actually a heavy mace wielded by the former Demon Prince Orcus prior to his assassination at the hands of the drow goddess Kiaransalee. This item had been crafted by the Demon Prince Orcus himself and was his most prized possession. He had poured so much of himself into this weapon that his essence persisted within it even after his death.
Through events not yet revealed, this weapon ended up in the hands of Mystra not long after Orcus’ destruction. She alone separated it into six individual pieces and hid them in areas within the vicinity of the Moonsea. All pieces of this weapon are heavily Tainted by evil.
The drow god of oozes, Ghaunadhar, gained knowledge that Mystra is the only being in Toril to know the locations of the pieces of this legendary weapon. By means to be discovered by the party, Ghaunadhar deposed Mystra from her position as the goddess of magic, took control of the Weave, and is forcing her to to lead the party on a quest to recover the six pieces of this weapon.
Following the death of Orcus, Kiaransalee cast a powerful spell eliminating all references to his name in all written mortal texts and all mortal memory. Since that time, references to an entity that would seem to be Orcus have renamed him as “Tenebrous.”
The Wand of Orcus was divided into six pieces that consist of the following:
- The Sting of Tenebrous – the pommel of the mace which functions as a powerful dagger.
- The Force of Tenebrous – the hilt of the mace which functions as a powerful rod.
- The Pain of Tenebrous – the shaft of the mace which functions as a powerful staff.
- The Visage of Tenebrous – the head of the mace that takes the shape of a human skull and functions as a powerful tool for divination and other uses.
- The Hatred of Tenebrous – one of two gems that fit the eye sockets of the head of the mace; this one functions as a weapon crystal.
- The Bulwark of Tenebrous – one of two gems that fit the eye sockets of the head of the mace; this one functions as an armor crystal.
Although Mysta has not been forthcoming regarding which specific piece belongs to which specific location, she has revealed to the party that the six pieces are located in the following areas:
- The Mines of Tethyamar
- The City of Calaunt
- The City of Mulmaster
- The Town of Whitehorn
- The Town of Ashabanford
- The City of Hillsfar