Since I’m not as able to discuss plots and storylines face-to-face with this group, I thought I’d make a place where we can discuss our theories as to what’s going on with the storyline, and where we should head next.
If you didn’t see it when I first posted it, here is my chart that ties together most of what’s happened to us so far:
Considering we just happened to find a ship that was created over 250 years ago to find the same thing that we just happened to get a job for now… I believe some research is in order if we can survive our next encounter.
If Hodekin manages to get the “portal device” working and we figure out how to use it, I would highly suggest that we make our way to Greyhawk if at all possible… as while it might not be the origin of the portal ship, there’s definitely something weird going on there to make people want it so bad.
I’d also like to see what the Seekers can offer in the way of information… if we can manage to do so without getting Constance in trouble.
The Arcane are major ship builders… can you imagine what they could do with the technology of the Portal Ship? For that matter… can you imagine what the Mind Flayers could do if they’re working together?
What say the rest of you?
I say that I am pleased to hear some inclination towards planning, and so I thank you for that, Katya.
I feel that I have little to offer save common sense, as I have not much of any idea of what you speak. Bral, Seekers, Arcane/Mind Flayer conspiracy… it all means little to me.
But my common sense says: I agree – research is precisely what we need. However, as this Portal Ship has been sought after by the Greyhawkians for hundreds of years, perhaps we should research the ship and those people prior to bringing it directly to their doorstep. How else would we know whether or not we were going from the frying pan into the fire?
Well, the Arcane (those blue guys) are the race predominantly responsible for the building of the “jammer” ships that are capable of going from sphere to sphere… and we witnessed one of them talking to an Illithid (Mind Flayer) on the street in a clandestine manner, right? Top that off with Helm-Ho showing up while we’re watching them, and it hammers home the theory that something is definitely “up” between the two races.
Now I am just assuming that they want this portal ship too… but from a purely economic standpoint, I can imagine the Arcane drooling at the thought of reverse-engineering the ship we found and making their own ships that can fly from not only sphere to sphere, but dimension to dimension (yes, dimension… just bear with me here). They’re probably one of the few races who could make a deal with an Illithid, considering they’ve got a need for those “squiddy” ships like the one we saw in the dock.
So now we’ve got the Illithids (who are always looking for a way to enslave everyone) wanting to get their grubby tentacles on portal technology for whatever nefarious purposes they might have making deals with a race who can provide them with all the ships they might need to do it. Not good.
As to the Seekers… they seem to be a guild organization dedicated to knowledge that Constance used to be involved with. Old Seeker newsletters were found on the Greyhawk ship, as well as the portal ship… so chances are the Seekers will have some more information for us about both. The main Seeker library is on a planet called Bral, but unfortunately Constance seems to have done something in her past to get her banned from the place. Bral is also supposedly where two alcohol deliveries were going to be made by this portal ship (to the Laughing Beholder and Archmage Gamelon), so it could be a good place to ask questions.
Ah, then it seems I misunderstood, as you intend for us to head for the Seekers, not Greyhawk directly.
I submit the undoubtedly unpopular idea that perhaps we should actually complete the work that we have contracted to do: report back to Harliss our findings here. However, as we have pirates bearing down and only a few moments to decide and act, I will concede that point as moot with current company and move on.
If answers are to be found at Bral, then I am in agreement that is our destination. Whatever affairs still linger between Constance and the Seekers, we shall address as necessary.
Now, to that end, has anyone figured out how to make this ship go? If we have not by now, then I suggest we jump back on the Grey Hawk and start paddling!
Greyhawk will be our major destination eventually… but I would like to get what information we can from the Seekers on Bral first. ;)
Hody votes Bral before some backwater berg. i thought we had got it running at the end of last game night and were about to jump? if i am wrong, could someone give me a recap of the end of that session? Waylond got all of our stuff over while i made skill checks on the engine and the elf tried to look pretty, contance ran around in circles screaming “PIRATES”, Snack taunted Hody, and Katya was at the ships controls, and Githpukey was vomiting a steady stream. Is that accurate?
My last notes show that as soon as the hammerships appeared we debated for a little bit as to what to do since we had no weapons, then moved everything over to the new ship along with Khal (leaving no pilot on the Greyhawk) while Hodey managed to start up something that caused purple flames to shoot out of it.
OK, so i did start something, as i thought, but we have not moved yet. Hody is anti slavery (agrees with indentured servitude, serfdom, and peonage), so Illithids are bad guys to him and deserve to be thwarted. He would also like to see if there are any kobolds in Bral.
Hey all, I know we’re going to start that pirate campaign this week, but I was going over my notes and came up with some plot points to think about in the interim:
- What big event happened around 200-250 years ago? The Silver Sword of Fedefensor was lost then, The Cudgel of St. Cuthbert was lost then, the letters from Prince Drax that we found on the “Greyhawk” ship were written then…. etc.
- Chess Games: Tain the Reigar is known for his “Grand Chess Games” and now we’ve got a powerful mage (Tenser) passing on chess pieces to Robilar the Guard Captain of Greyhawk as some kind of veiled message during our party on The Bubber Saint. What does it mean? Didn’t we meet Robilar back when we first roomed at the Inn? He was at that raised table in the back and I believe Waylond talked to him about the Giff. Perhaps when we return to Greyhawk we should talk to him about it?
- WHO hired Harlass on Refuge to send parties out to find that Portal Ship? How did he have a map almost identical to the one we found on the Greyhawk ship?
- WHO were the people that originated Waylond’s gun? They’re from the Astral Plane, right? Did they make the Portal Ship too?
- Was the Doppelganger also a part of the “test” conducted by the person who invited Katya to the City of Dis? If not, who sent it?
- The Silver Sword of Fedefensor was created to fight the Githyanki. Was the Cudgel of St. Cuthbert famed to be able to fight anyone in particular?
And now, the big one: THE ARCANE/MINDFLAYER CONSPIRACY and the IMPENDING DOOM
1. The Arcane and the Mind Flayers are the only races knowledgable and capable of moving between alternate realities.
2. Stregazz of the Arcane tried to plant a scrying focus on us after we accepted the quest from Harlass to find the Portal Ship.
3. Tregazz, the Arcane who sold us The Bubber Saint, is of the same clan as Stregazz.
4. We observed an Arcane and a Mind Flayer having a suspicious conversation. We know it was very suspicious because Helm-Ho appeared to comment… and he only appears during situations like that.
5. The Portal Ship that we found was equipped with weapons specifically designed to fight Illithid.
6. The Greyhawk Ship was made especially to find the Portal Ship and was used by important figures who reside in Greyhawk City.
7. The Portal Ship was programmed to work only if you were on The List… and many of the people on the list are from Greyhawk.
7. Greyhawk is the nexus point for multiple realities.
A picture is starting to form here… and I don’t like what I’m seeing. It seems to me that something has been going on between the Arcane, the Mind Flayers and (possibly) the Githyanki over the fate of Greyhawk and all of existance for a few hundred years now at least, and we’re only now getting involved.
The Silver Sword, the Githyanki Pirates and the race that created Waylond’s gun are all in the Astral Plane somewhere.
Meanwhile the creators of the Greyhawk ship, the people who can use the Portal Ship, Tregazz, Robilar & Tenser with their chess game, the nexus of all realities… that’s all in Greyhawk City.
And what of the Rule of Three and the City of Dis? Why was I being tested? What could their involvment in this be? The Arcane did sell a whole star system to the Tenari once… but when it comes to demons and devils the only side they are on is their own.
So… what if we were going about this all wrong and the focus of everything… the Githyanki Pirates… the Arcane… the Mind Flayers… the Demon Cults… the Harmonium… the Rule of Three… Esteban… was CONSTANCE?
- The Harmonium Cops were all about making sure someone doesn’t meet the Sapphire Mage, and then were sent to keep an eye on Constance during the bardic performance.
- The Rule of Three has been trying to kill Constance. Not all of us as a group… Constance. We discovered a while ago that the Rule of Three tried to burn our ship down… and while we were in Sigil I found a fallen paladin who admitted that he hired that mephit who tried to burn our ship down because his boss wanted Constance dead.
- The Rule of Three has been following us around Sigil appearing like a Gith monk. Could he also be the cause of the Gith Pirates who tried to attack Constance in the Astral Plane when we all first met?
- The Rule of Three is also the Son of Graz’zt… could he be involved with the cult who kidnapped me? Could Constance have been their real aim… and if so, for what purpose?
- Esteban says we’re being played… and he too is also very interested in Constance’s family relations.
So… just what could happen if Constance and the Sapphire Mage meet? Might it have something to do with the possible plans of the Mind Flayers and the Arcane centered around Greyawk (the nexus of all realities)? Would it be a good thing… or a very bad thing if we try to get those two together?
Hard to say when demonic cults AND inter-dimensional police forces have the same goals.