Weird Science (Su)
An artificer is not a spellcaster, but instead possesses the ability to imbue items with magical power. This weird science allows the artificer to create devices that combine the effects of one or more spells, either arcane or divine. An artificer has access to both arcane and divine spell lists, but only up to 4th level. Any number of spells can be combined into a single device. Spell statistics (casting times, etc.) remain unchanged, Ten times the components are required when crafting, and the artificer is considered the “caster” for the purposes of CL. Weird science devices must be invented in advance, however — they cannot be created on the fly. The time to create such devices is 4 hours per spell level used. As such, an artificer usually has a fixed collection of regularly-carried devices. Weird science devices are temporary and unreliable. They are able to be used reliably once per day. The device may be used by anyone — but if used by someone other than the artificer who built it, it requires a Use Magic Device roll at DC 15 + the combined spell levels of all spells to be activated (a failed roll indicates that the device fails to activate for that user, and a failed roll that misses by 5 or more means that the device breaks down for good). When used by the Artificer, caster levels are equel to the Artificer class level; when used by others, caster level of spells are at the minimum to cast the spell. If the device is used by the Artificer more times than allowed , it requires a Use Magic Device skill check with a DC equal starting at 18 and rising by 2 every additional time the device is used. A failed roll means that the device breaks down and may not be used again (the artificer will have to build another). Combining multiple magical effects into a single device means that both effects function simultaneously upon activation (effectively casting two or more spells at once) — but such devices are even more unstable than usual: The Use Magic Device check for extra activations starts at DC 20 + the number of effects used, and goes up for each additional usage by the number of effects used.
Artificers can use the Perception skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20. Finding a nonmagical trap has a DC of at least 10, or higher if it is well hidden. Finding a magic trap has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it. Artificers can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps. A magic trap generally has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it.
At third level, an artificer’s invention ability expands to include the creation of true magic items, even if the artificer does not have access to the prerequisite spells. The artificer must make a successful Spellcraft check (DC 20 + caster level) to emulate each spell normally required to create the item.
The Hödekins are a well known family in the Warrens section of the Clerk’s Ward. For forty generations they have been some of the most skilled artisans among their people, a fact often attributed to to their gold Dragonwrought heritage.
Heinzelmann took to gadgeteering from the start showing a facility with traps and devices not seen since that of his great great, great, grand-sire Fangan. In short order he had obtained a position with the Entertainers Guild & Civic Festhall, mostly doing special effects for theater productions.
In the course of his time there he was sent on several errands for the Guild. Errands that took him through his first portals to the gatetowns of Ribcage (Gatetown to Baator) and Tradegate (Gatetown to Bytopia). It was these first trips that whetted his appetite for travel, and the small reptile now dreams of traveling the stars.
Of course coming home to his grandfather, his parents, his 17 siblings, and his 23 cousins, nieces and nephews was a bit of a letdown after the mania of Tradegate and the dangers of Ribcage.
Recently he has found a like mind in a friends he made in Ribcage, Katya Volkov, a Tiefling fortune teller with prehensile hair. The two met when he was picking up some haunt siphons to use for a production. She had just recently lost her mother and he was complaining about too much family. Over several rounds of blood ale the two became friends and he periodically finds time to slip through and pay her visits as the two plan exactly how to implement their wanderlust.
In the meantime he is off to fix the fog machine and continue tinkering with his bizarre contraptions.
Magic Items Most Used
- A Diposity Appropriator This small magical exoskeleton is barely visible under clothing and was made by Heinzelmann (Girdle of Mule Strength -loot4less). It allows Hody to ignore the first 100 pounds of weight when figuring capacity. This has made a huge difference in his life with work.
- Ring of Rainment This ring allows Hody to change his clothes (full ensemble) into any style as a standard action. Heinzelmann spends time every day creating a new outfit to make sure he looks his best. Clothes make the Kobold, in his opinion, and becoming captain at age 11 is living proof: no one else had a captains outfit ready when we took the ship….
Events that have helped define Heinzelmann
- Being Dragonwrought Kobolds so blessed are pampered and coddled as children, and are considered thoroughbreds predestined for greatness in their community. Many tribes will petition or trade to have another tribes dragowrought male seed their tribe. To Heinzelmann’s kind, he is a rockstar.
- Becoming an Artificer (Age 7) An almost sacred profession in Heinzelmann’s family, inventing and the flows of magic came naturally to him.
- Employment at the Entertainers Guild & Civic Festhall (Age 9) This is where Heinzelmann learned about the world while honing his crafting and magical skills creating special effect, fixing things, making sets, and healing the injured. He learned drama and flourish, and how to integrate with the larger folk in the Cage. On errands for the guild introduced Heinzelmann to Portal travel in everyday life.
- Becoming Captain of the Grey Hawk by age 11 Confirmed to Heinzelmann that he was destined for greatness. He now is considering whether returning to the Cage should be temperary. He has lost his ship and believes that the jammer Grey Hawk could be tied to his destiny.