(24) Tall, with long brown hair and blue eyes. Frequently bearded or scruffy. Human Mercenary
- Jonos Penrose is the youngest son in the family. As such responsibility to will fall to him to defend his family lands in the event of their departure. He is betrothed to Elessia Gabeway (11), and was a ward to Dabin Gabeway from the ages of 8 to 15.
- His primary responsibilities revolve around gaining contracts in the Vale or maintaining contact with those capable of paying for services in exterior territories during the campaign season.
While accused of being self interested this is not the case, he most commonly operates in the interests of the family, but has been known to be heartless in the performance of his duties.
Jonos Penrose(24) is the youngest Son of House Penrose
Family Motto:“Thorns and Roses”
Father(45): Ser Randyll Penrose
Mother(43): Rhayella Manderlay-Penrose
Grandfather(67) : Mathis Penrose
Eldest Brother(28): Ser Salloreon Penrose
Elder Brother(26): Leyton Penrose
Sister(13): Brienna Penrose
- House Penrose is a mercenary family of former highbirth. The family fell into bankruptcy several hundred years ago when Derreck Penrose spent too much money on mercenaries to fight its wars with rival lords. A truce was called after both sided lacked the resources to continue the fight. After a peace was called Derreck died, killed by his own retainers. The family was forced into poverty and debt.
- Edward Penrose, abdicated the family’s claim to nobility to the Manderlays, a distant cousin of the Penrose line, in exchange for large resources and gold. Edward then took up the mercenary business which nearly crippled the family. Within his lifetime, Edward restored claims on the family’s ancestral lands and began a tradition which has extended to the current age. The Penrose’s are sellswords to their very core.
- Today the Penroses are well recognized for their military capabilities, but suffer some derision and jealousy from the nobility who resent their wealth, military might, and honourary position on the Lord’s Council, despite not formally maintaining a Lordship. Concerns have been brought up on several occasions by the nobility, because the Penrose family does not fall under direct jurisdiction of others Lords in the Vale. Additionally, the family does not pay taxation to the crown due to a treaty, granting the house exemption, due to its services freely given during the War of the Wolves, generations ago. Because of this the family is under no obligation to grant military aid in times of need. As of yet, since the house has never used its forces to pursue individual conquest and provided a valuable service to the Vales, the complaints have not changed much.
- The Ancestral Keep is known as BrokenThorn (formerly HighThorn Castle) in the Vale of Penrose, in the North West of the Barricade mountain range. The keep serves as a barrier to the commonlands and the secluded valley. Penrose valley itself maintains several small farming communities, freshwater streams coming down from the surrounding mountain scape, a small lake, and vast iron resources.
Brokenthorn Keep can garrison near 5,000 men comfortably, but has not needed to do so in centuries. Built along and into a mountain, the dangerous terrain has served as an adequate deterrent from any would be invaders or greedy lords. Much of the larger castle structure was lost several hundred years ago when Gregor Penrose destroyed several supports from within and causes an avalanche, which was used to crush an army beyond the capabilities of the defenders. The valley was defended, but the castle was badly ruined and large portions were lost. With no need for the larger castle, and the high expense, it was never rebuilt, aside from the lower levels defending the pass, which was serviced into the modern BrokenThorn keep.