A Spirit Healer and apostae mage trying to keep out of reach of the Templars
|4||Communication (Deception, Disguise)|
Class Powers & Talents
Arcane Lance Mages learn to focus magical power through a staff or wand. If you are holding a quarterstaff or a wand, you can make a special ranged attack that damages foes with a lance of magical energy. This is resolved like a normal ranged attack (so stunts are possible), but the attack roll is a Magagic (Arcane Lance) test. An arcane lance has a range of 16 yards and inflicts 1d6 + Magagic damage. It requires no mana points to make this attack.
Magic Training: This is the most important of the mage’s powers. It allows a mage to cast the spells that are the hallmark
of the class. Magic training gives you three spells to start with, and you can gain more through talents and class powers.
Mana Points: You use mana to power your spells. You start with a number of mana points equal to 10 + Magagic + 1d6 and you gain Magagic + 1d6 more whenever you gain a new level. You must keep track of your current mana points; this is a measure of how much magical power is at your command at any given time. You spend mana points when you cast spells; you can regain them through rest and meditation.
Lore (Novice): You have studied hard. When you make a successful
Cunning test with a lore focus, the GM should give you an extra piece of information on the topic. A lore focus is any Cunning focus with the word “lore” in it, such as Cultural Lore or Historical Lore. The GM determines
the additional information and it may or may not be pertinent to the main question at hand.
Equipment & Money
Healing Kit (18 uses)
Flint & Steel
Book on the Black Chantry
Elven Mage’s Journal
Nevarrian Burial Cloak
The Wanderer’s Coat
Blackened Heartwood Staff
Step 1: Write five things about your character’s concept and background, five things that you think are the most essential parts of your character. You don’t have to stop at five, if you like…this is just a minimum.
1. Aedan is a human apostate who uses primal and creation magic, and is currently working as a personal healer for a noble family in Denerim (they are unaware of the fact that he is an apostate).
2. He is a quiet, but confident and controlled man who normally keeps to himself.
3. He has been on the run since he was a teenager. When he hit puberty his magical power manifested itself and he caused an accident at his home (his sister was badly burned during this accident). His family disowned him and kicked him out.
4. A couple of months after being kicked out, and barely surviving in the woods, he was found by an elderly woman (Demelza) exhausted and near death. She brought him to her home in the woods and took care of him. Even when she discovered that he could use magic she did not throw him out and continued to take care of him. In the following years they became close friends (although Aedan could rarely get Demelza to talk about her past, he was happy not to push her on these matters). During this time Aedan learned to control and use his magic by controlling his emotions. Demelza also taught him basic chirurgy.
5. After Demelza passed on, Aedan learned to survive by lying, and pretending to be something he is not (while he has basic medical knowledge, his magic is really what makes him a great healer). He knows full well the prejudice apostates face, and he has been the subject of it on more than one occasion. As such he tries to refrain from using his magic as much as possible, even his healing magic.
6. He would be willing to adventure if he felt he could find a way to heal his sister, or of course if someone were to find out he was an apostate he could easily be blackmailed to adventure.
Step 2: List two goals for the character that you, as a player, think would be cool to see accomplished in-game. During any session in which you take positive action to achieve that goal, I will award you an action point that can only be used in scenes furthering that goal. These Action Points are separate from the action points you gain by resting and reaching milestones. You can change goals later, though you lose all the accumulated Action Points for the goal you abandoned.
1. One of Aedan’s major goals is to earn money and provide for his sister and mother. If possible, he would one day love to return to them and become a family again.
2. Another one of Aedan’s goals is to find information on beneovalent spirits in the fade, who he believes may be able to help him heal his sister (ie. find information on becoming a spirit-healer).
Step 3: List two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center around your character. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!
1. Easy one here, Aedan is an apostate! ;D
2. Aedan’s father (Tadhg O’Conaill) blames him for destroying his life. The accident Aedan caused burned down their house and lodgings. Also, when the rest of the nobility found out that his son was an apostate he lost his standing among them. Finally, as his daughter’s face was badly burned he was unable to wed her off to any of the other noble families. Distraught, bitter and angry at his losses he left his wife and daughter with what money he had left in order to find his son and exact revenge. While Aedan was living with Demelza Tadhg was unable to find his son, but now that Aedan has left the seclusion of the woods and has moved to Denerim, the odds of him being discovered have greatly increased.
Step 4: Describe three people that are tied to the character through blood, romance or honor. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. All can do something useful for you, if you can get the situations to line up. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.
1. Kelsie O’Conaill is Aedan’s sister. After Demelza died Aedan returned to his family at her behest to reconcile with them. He returned to find his sister and mother alone, living in poverty. Far from being angry at him, his sister and mother were glad to see him. Kelsie had explained how she had become a tougher and kinder person having lived through the hardships her scars had caused. His mother then regretted having thrown out her only son and felt great shame and guilt over this (although she was still somewhat hesitant and fearful about her son being an apostate). They had explained to him what had happened after the accident, and that their father had left them having become bitter at life (they are unaware of Tadhg’s real reason for leaving). Aedan keeps in regular contact with his sister by letter, and also regularly sends money to her and his mother.
2. Killian Lander is the son of the Bann Aedan currently works for. They are similiar in age and have become friends over the months Aedan has lived with the family. Killian is the youngest of the Bann’s sons and has no interest in the politics and games of the nobility, and much prefers getting into trouble and having fun than attending noble parties and trying to impress and please his father and his friends. Killian knows Aedan is an apostate, after an altercation on a night out caused Aedan to intervene against a group of thugs that attacked them. Aedan also had to magically heal an otherwise fatal wound that Killian received. Killian, thankful that Aedan saved his life has agreed to keep his secret.
3. Ser Rivius Bastian is a Knight Templar (his name is unknown to Aedan). In the intervening years between his departure from Demelza’ home and today, Ser Rivius has caught up with Aedan on a number of occassions. Each time Aedan has barely escaped, preferring every time to run rather than fight. Aedan has heard stories of how Knight Templars hunt down apostates and bring them to “justice”, so has ignored any of Ser Rivius’ attempts to get him to talk or halt. (I’ve purposefully left Ser Rivius a bit ambiguos here so that you can do what you want with him – extremist templar that wants to kill Aedan to leniant templar that wants to force him into the circle to whatever :) ).
Step 5: Describe three memories that your character has. They don’t have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.
1. Aedan remembers a nightmare he had as a child. In the nightmare he was being bullied by the local kids of his town, who were pushing him around and calling him weak and pathetic. They knocked him to the ground and started kicking him. Then there was a voice, a strong, confident one that told Aedan he could help. When Aedan asked how, the kicks suddenly stopped and were replaced by screams of pain. When he looked up he saw the bullies engulfed in flames, flailing and floundering around. And screaming. The voice laughed at it’s display of power, but Aedan was shocked and terrified. As one of the boys lurched towards him covered in flames, hand outstretched, he could feel something try to grab him and then he woke from the nightmare. After he woke his room was engulfed in flames.
2. Aedan remembers the look of shock, then fear and hatred upon his father’s face when he came upon him in his room, surrounded by flames that danced at Aedan’s feet and covered his hands like gloves, doing no harm. By then the fire had spread, and Aedan remembers the screams of his sister in the room next door. To this day Aedan is warry of using magic in an offensive manner, fearful of the repurcusions, and only uses it when it is a matter of life or death.
3. Aedan remembers the joy he felt when he first used his magic to heal something, a wounded and dying doe that he came across while in the woods surrounding Demelza’s home. He remembers it gingerly getting to it’s feet, before bouncing away. Before it disapperared into the woods it turned it’s head to look back at Aedan and nodded it’s head, as if in appreciation. He gets the same feeling of satisfaction every time he helps someone, either through mundane or magical healing.