Latest Adventure Log: The Pursuit of Paldemar
What Now?: Last Thoughts From Thunderspire
Welcome to the Thunderspire!
This campaign relates the fate and fortunes of a band of Nentir Vale heroes who early dubbed themselves ‘The Fairy Ring’ in light of their various, seemingly coincidental, connections with the Fey. They found themselves opposing the nefarious schemes of the followers of Orcus, the Demon Prince of Undead.
Why should I read
- If you’re a player in it and
- you missed a session,
- you want to read the DM’s writeup for angles/clues which may have been overlooked during the session itself, as they will be duly emphasised here,
- you want to make sure you get full recognition for your ideas, Natural 20s, and other highlight moments,
- you never tire of re-reading your heroic exploits as the true star of the Fairy Ring.
- If you’re a DM of H2 and want to learn how one group’s experience of it, using Myrhdraak’s excellent Orcus Conversion, worked out (cf. the DM’s ‘technical’ commentary on the Wizards.com forum, e.g. here)
- If you like reading Adventure Logs, or write them yourself and want to see how someone else’s ones come out. I’ve been doing this sort of thing for ages, although I do think writeups of real gaming sessions have to serve so many purposes all at the same time that they can’t be brilliant fiction too. But these are hopefully more than a random thesaurus-use of words for “hit”, and portray the excitement of combat which can be lost in obsessing over the crunch and suffering the grind.
Our heroes are:
Varris the Scarred, PC throughout
— Elf Ranger, sole survivor of a band of elves, who has turned to the Raven Queen and become an Avenger upon her foes. Scout and “spiritual backbone” of the party.
Wjizzo the Wizard, PC throughout
— An Eladrin who enigmatically left the Feywild to come to the Nentir Vale, Wjizzo is a wielder of arcane power and scourge of all minions.
Cram of the Thumper Clan, PC throughout
— Barbarian of the Winterbole Forest, the most promising scion of a tribe who worship the primal spirit of the Great Rabbit, and student of the ‘explorer’ Douven Staul. He is known for his piercing battle-cry and the might of his sword-arms.
Elana Lee-Chearda, PC from early-H2, originally an NPC healer recruited mid-H1
— Bard and fey-pact follower of Corellon, she first gave support from the sidelines, then led from the rear. And now, if a goal cannot be gained through intelligence, negotiation and moral decency, she dons armour and fearlessly wields sword and shield into the fray.
Surina the Dragonborn, PC recruited early-H2
— Devoted to Erathis she wields powers wrested from The Pit the destroy the foes of civilization. A veteran of gnoll-wars in the northern wilderness, she met the Ring in Thunderspire, escaped the influence of Mezzothraxiar the Imp and now, whilst they see her as a dangerous firebrand, all value her as an ally in a fight.
And their sometime associates include:
Acula of House Azaer, PC at the outset, departed mid-H1
— the Tiefling Warlock wielding powers of the Fey who originally led the Fairy Ring on their journey to Winterhaven and into the Keep on the Shadowfell.
Wolczek the Dragonborn, PC at the outset, departed mid-H1
— the Paladin of Bahamut who ventured into the Keep on the Shadowfell until he found the Fairy Ring in no great need of defending in battle and heeded another call, leaving his ward Percival to take his place.
‘Percival’ the Halfling, PC recruited mid-H1; MIA mid-H2
— An amnesiac placed by a priestess of Avandra into the keeping of Wolczek, he proved to have a prodigy’s hand and eye with the knife. Then, one morning after the Ring rescued the same priestess from slavery in Thunderspire, he disappeared. Only his black-and-silver shuriken and an old Nerath gold coin remained in his stead, and then even they disappeared! (Well OK, Varris put the coin in the party’s purse. But the shuriken really did disappear.)