Electric conversion cop car
The 1949 Hudson Super 6 car driven by Deputy Schrull is representative of the several electric-conversions of standard automobiles seen around the Town. Large nickel-zinc dry-cell rechargeable batteries known as Drumm Cells power four electric motors wound with electrum wire (an alloy of silver and copper) behind the four wheels. Decorative accents tend to be brass rather than chrome, slightly increasing the weigh of the vehicle.
Town electric cars are neither particularly fast nor long ranged. The enclosed environs of the Town don’t require either, while the presence of considerable horse-drawn traffic makes comparable speeds for electric and other self-powered vehicles a positive safety feature.