Jan, unwillingly called by the Voice to the service of the Silver Flame - the skeptical paladin.
== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ==
Jantry, level 1
FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 17, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 15.
STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 15.
AC: 21 Fort: 16 Reflex: 15 Will: 15
HP: 35 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 8
Diplomacy +8, Religion +6, Streetwise +8, Athletics +6, Endurance +3
Acrobatics -3, Arcana +1, Bluff +3, Insight +2, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +1, Intimidate +3, Nature +2, Perception +2, Stealth -3, Thievery -3
Human: Deva Heritage
Level 1: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 2: Untiring Virtue
Paladin at-will 1: Holy Strike
Paladin at-will 1: Enfeebling Strike
Bonus At-Will Power: Challenging Strike
Paladin daily 1: Radiant Delirium
Paladin encounter 1: Radiant Smite
Paladin utility: (daily) Holy Circle
Plate Armor, Adventurer’s Kit, Longsword, Heavy Shield
p. Jantry (Jan) grew up as an orphan street urchin in Sharn. He survived by begging and stealing. Luck ran his way often enough that he survived into his teenage years. By that point he was running with a gang of young smugglers as a tough and enforcer. One fateful night, while attempting a heist Jan’s gang was interrupted by the warehouse guards. In the ensuing fight the warehouse caught fire, the gang injured and killed several of the guards before the survivors were apprehended by the city watch. Jan was sentenced to death for his part in the killings, thieving and arson. While languishing in the dungeon awaiting his fate, he began to hear a voice… a Voice that admonished him for his crimes and sins and claimed him as its own. Terrified he screamed until the guards came into his cell to knock him cold. The following day, Jan was brought to the block where he was read his last rights – at the instant of the conclusion of the ceremony, there was a flash of light and Jan stood away transfixed as the Voice spoke through him, claiming this man for the service of the Silver Flame and commanding the people to commit him to the care of the ministry. The crowd was awed by this Miracle, of which Jan himself remembers nothing. He was carted off that afternoon for a monastery of the Silver Flame, by Sister Moghenna of the ministry of the Silver Flame.
He stayed at the monastery for five years, first learning to trust Sister Moghenna, then to behave like a civilized man, and finally to serve the Silver Flame. The ministers taught him to read and write, taught him history, theology and ethics, and the militant guards taught him the use of the sword and bow. Occasionally, in the night, Jan would again here the Voice of the Silver Flame, whispering just below comprehension. Jan himself remains skeptical of the divine grace that the ministers ascribe to him and the miracle of his conversion. He’s not entirely sure he believes in the Silver Flame himself, but he’s still alive and well fed and sheltered so who is he to complain? One night, a fortnight ago, while at evening prayers the Voice of the Silver flame once again occupied his mortal frame and prophesied to the assembled fateful that Jan’s time had come to leave the temple and undertake a pilgrimage to discover his true destiny. Two days layer, Jan found himself walking down an unfamiliar road, his pack heavily laden, and his path unknown.
Thus he finds himself in the Tavern where he is met by the party of Silver Flame Templars Militant and joins their company. He is the skeptical paladin – the light burns in him fiercely, but he struggles to accept it; he is forgiving to the sins of the disadvantaged and the ignorant for he recognizes his own past in their plights. And still, in the night, when all is still he can hear the Voice whispering to him just below comprehension.
p. Jan stands 6’ tall with a stocky build. The first thing most people notice about him is his bright silvery hair, despite his early youthful appearance – a result (mark?) of his brief possession by the voice. Green eyes, usually wears simple brown and grey traveling clothes with a suit of well worn chain mail armor. He carries a sword at his belt and a longbow strapped to his heavy pack. He carries a heavy oak walking staff, that he carved himself, as he walks.
- Sister Moghenna, a minister of the Silver Flame. A frail, elderly woman, she is still surprisingly worldly and appears to have a greater roll in the hierarchy of the Silver Flame than a simple abbess of a small monastery – but not one that Jan could ever uncover.
- Ricky Tam (Black Eye Ricky), a ruthless underworld tough from Jantry’s street scum days. So named because of the enchanted black sphere that replaced an eye he lost in a knife fight. Ricky has risen to power in a criminal syndicate. He’s not a nice man, but values his reputation and his friends – and might still count Jan among them.
- Mysterious family members (sister, uncle, ???). Jan was an orphan on the streets but he’s always believed that he’s not really alone in this world. One day he hopes he’ll find another member of his family. His only clue is a scrap of fabric that he’s had since as long as he can remember, covered in scrawling writing in a language that neither he, nor anyone he has met, recognizes.
- Mara, a smuggler who worked on the same boat for a while. Smallish, but athletic with flame red hair, she was well respected for her quick mind and sharp senses. She wasn’t evil or cruel, just very self interested. She didn’t have the stomach for killing but sometimes left people in a place to die easy. Jan had a thing for her, and they even had a brief fling. But she dumped him, literally, one night at the docks, saying that while it was fun, she had some things to work out with Kemper, another man she had also been seeing. They had a big job coming up, and Jan would only get in the way. So, she sailed off into the star-less night and that was the last time Jan saw her. The botched warehouse burglary that lead to his near execution happened only a month later. So perhaps she was right: he would have only got in the way. In the mean time, Nara and a small band under her leadership had pulled off a heist from a huge river-boat casino and earned her the name River Fox her cunning plan. Who knows where Mara is now? Perhaps living it up in a mansion with her loot or perhaps her luck has reversed, putting her on the run. Perhaps she is still with Kemper and their band or she’s struck out on her own.
Jan’s personal goals:
1. Stay alive and find his way in the world.
2. Figure out what the Voice of the Silver Flame wants with him – his destiny.
3. Discover where he came from, if he has any family, or the like. For example, what’s that scrap of vellum say…
4. Return to Sharn to come to terms with his past and his new path. Perhaps save another soul from the gallow’s block or a life of squalor and misery. Maybe he’ll set up a country school with his future fortunes that will take in troubled urban youths and raise them proper.
Also: hates lizards
Phobia: snakes, why does it always have to be snakes