This is a work of fiction. All the characters in it, human and otherwise, are imaginary, excepting only certain of the fairy folk, whom it might be unwise to offend by casting doubts on their existence. Or lack thereof.
Come away, O human child!
To the waters and the wild
With a faery hand in hand,
For the world’s more full of weeping than you can understand.
~William Butler Yeats, “The Stolen Child”
In Courts of the Shadow Fey, a 4e adventure by Wolfgang Baur, a medieval city is taken over by the Fey because they broke an ancient treaty by no longer having a king. The fey hold the city under martial law until the PCs arrive. The PCs must infiltrate the Shadow Courts over the course of many months and gain enough status within the court to get the city freed or the treaty broken. This game is kind of going to be like that. It will be held in the modern times in a city named Clearfield. Clearfield will encounter similar issues and become under the thrall of a fey court. The characters will all be human and will become embroiled with the courts, learning of the fate of the city and being responsible for it’s fate.
I am aiming for this game to feel like a mix of the Labyrinth, Stardust (more book than movie), The Troll City from Hellboy 2, Charles DeLint, The Dresden Files, Pan’s Labyrinth, anything ever done by Brian Froud, Jim Henson’s The Storyteller, and a bit of the fear of the Lovecraft Mythos but without the Lovecraft Mythos. Magic exists and so do the Fey, and they are as undefinable as they are mysterious, beautiful, and deadly. Your pitiful short lived cultures cannot hope to match the beauty of the art, the pure essence of the music, nor the learning of the sages that exist in these lands. Weep mortals for the beauty that you might behold but never reach.
System – Fudge or Savage Worlds
- Fudge Resources - Here you will find resources for the gaming system
- Length – The game will be a miniseries campaign, lasting a variable time but with a definite end.
- Location – The game will be run in John and Alec’s apartment in Cuyahoga falls.
- Time – Mondays at 6pm
- System – Fudge
- Characters – Characters will be human. You are allowed to flirt with the mystical, you are not allowed to fuck it in the ass. Feel free to get to 2nd base though and don’t forget to buy it dinner.
- Group Character Creation – We’ll be doing a group character creation in the first session. Likely, we’ll get into some background or other roleplaying, depending on how long the character creation takes.
ImmersionOne thing I’m really looking to do with this game is get immersion into the game and setting. To that end, I’m going to request a few things.
- Share the spotlight. Play will be as a group, but some characters will be better at or be more entangled in certain things.
- No big electronic devices unless necessary. This game isn’t going to require a lot of PDFs or other resources, so I want to banish big electronics from the gaming space to avoid distraction and lessen the feel of the modern. The game will be played in a modern setting, but I want to keep the focus on what is going on.
- Embrace the odd/react to the odd as your normal-ish characters would. One of the themes of this game will be fey lords and ladies taking over the city of Clearfield and making it odder. In dealing with this issue, your characters will become odder in order to deal. You’ll all gain magic-like abilities or strange powers, but you are still human. So work in your character gaining knowledge you might have, or think of how you would react to finding out that supernatural shit really existed but it doesn’t have the handy guidebook of RPG fantasy rules and apply that reaction to your characters.
In return for helping to build the immersion, I’ll promise the following things.
- I will deviate from prescribed story if the solutions you come up with seem more viable, fun, realistically (in terms of the world) unique, or better. I won’t let anything go, but if your win scenarios work, I won’t ever dismiss them in favor of what is written in the module.
- I will strive to help your characters become who they want to be throughout the course of the game. Tell me something you want your character to gain access to, and I will work to make that happen. I won’t instantly give them the uber-sword of awesome game ending power, but I will build in adventures to let them get it’s kick ass cousin. If I’ll do that, think of how I’ll likely respond when you say you want to find your own unique way to realistic power or story point X.
- Getting To Know Your Fey Neighbors – Here you will find information about the fey in this world and sources of inspiration
- Characters List of Characters, NPCs AND some character guidelines
- Places – Here you will find information about the places within the game.
- Fudge Resources – Here you will find resources for the gaming system